Blood in stool

vyrus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh Vet....now you have me worried. My little budday has the same thing in his diarreah. Hope your little budday feels better and hope mine does to. I took him to an emergency vet clinic and he is now on medication. God willing both our cats will overcome the sickness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vettechstudent

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sweets
Glad it wasn't anything more serious. A Cat Guru told me to completely empty the litter box and scrub it with a disinfectant on the third day after treatment. That will kill any worms left in the litter box.
Thanks for the tip.
I usually do try to disinfect the boxes once a week,but sometimes slip to 2,but I will be sure to not skip it this week.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear it was worms. I know how frightening it is to find blood in a kitten's stool. I think my vet thought I was overreacting when I rushed JC in when he had it, but she got worried, too, when she took his temperature and the thermometer came out covered in blood! Disinfecting all the litterboxes is really important. Another (expensive) thing you could do is use disposable litterboxes until all the cats have tested negative. If we have them over here, they must be available there. We have a so-called "Catsanette", which is made of heavy cardboard, has an absorbant paper liner and non-clumping litter on top. They're meant to fit into a plastic tray, but you can cover the bottom with silver foil, or put them on plastic garbage bags. Actually, I guess you could do the same with heavy-duty cardboard boxes filled with your regular litter. I generally steam clean litterboxes to disinfect them. Anyway, I hope all the kitties are just fine soon!

rakka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our female cat had blood in her stool for about a month and it seemed to get a little worse then better. We took her to the vet and he said it could be her diet try her on other food for a week and see how she goes (as there was nothing else wrong with her).

We were feeding her normal cat bikkies at 11 months as we thought they would have been fine but we found out that they are what was causing her the problem. We still to this day give our cats kitten biscuits (they are both going on 2yrs) and there is never any blood. The vet simply told us that because she is a small framed cat, the biscuits were more then likely scrapping her inside and causing her to have a small bleed when she pooped.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When i first got Rosie at 6 weeks, there was blood in her motions. I called my vet straight away, who said it could be due to straining,and with her being in a new environment, but if it had'nt stopped in a couple of days to take her to see him.
Thankfully,it did stop, and i hope your's is something as easy as what Rosie had!.
Susan

amany

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I read about your problem as I am facing the same now. I had Casper a month ago. He is 1 year age. I knew from his owner that he likes to eat Mackerel only. I was sure that he was vaccinated and I took him to examine him before getting him at home with my 3 cats.
When he came home, I found that he has diarrhea. I though may be because he changed his home and food. He started to eat from the same dry food (Friskis) that I present to my cats. Then I noticed blood in it. I took him immediately to the vet who had examined him before taking him home. He kept him under treatment for a week and told me that he is OK. He is still having it even after treatment and giving him anti-worms tablets. I wonder if dry food can do that to him> the vet says that may be he is eating so much (in fact yes) from it. Amany