Blood in stool

thurmansj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently got a cat from friends.  He has been outside and hasn't really had much care except for food left out for him for the last 6 months.  I brought him home, gave him a bath, put flea meds on him and gave him the first dose of roundworm treatment (I was worried about that with little kids here).   I noticed the first time he used the litter box that he had a small amount of blood in his stool, he looks and acts like a healthy cat.  I have no idea what he has been eating for doing outside so I figure it probably isn't anything too serious.   I am thinking he probably does have worms and that is the cause (I haven't seen any worms).   I noticed today that the blood was still present but less.   I gave him the wormer two days ago, I have been keeping him in the basement and limiting his contact with my kids (5, 3 and 1).    I planned on making him an outside cat but the kids want to keep him in.  I figured we would keep him in the next few days and decide what to do for long term.   I am just worried about my kids getting worms from him.  I have been making them wash their hands after I put him back in the basement and end "play time".   I may be paranoid and over worried, I tend to do that.  We don't have the money to take the cat to the vet, we are a one income family of 5 and I am 7 months pregnant so soon to be 6.   Has anyone else had any experience with blood in the stool and what was the cause?   Thank you!!  I have been internet searching for answers and haven't really found much. 

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I googled the topic and found a couple of sites that offer some explanations. Basically, there isn't a single cause for blood in stool and there is no way that we can speculate what specifically is causing your cat's problem. The only person who can diagnose him is a vet. Here's a couple of the articles that I found that might help you:

http://cathealthissues.net/cat-bloody-stool.html
http://www.professorshouse.com/Pets/Cats/Health/Articles/My-Cat-has-Blood-in-its-Stool/

I do have a question for you. Did you use over the counter flea and worm medications? Over the counter flea medications (such as Hartz) can be very dangerous to your cat. I don't know how they can stay in business because many cats have died from their products. The only safe and effective products are going to be ones that you get from a vet. I have not heard of physical harm from their worm medications, but I have worked with enough humane societies that handle stray cats to know that they don't work very well.

I understand you have financial challenges, but if you are worried about the health of your children, perhaps reach out to a local cat rescue group to see if they can help you somehow. Over the counter meds aren't going to fix any physical issues with the cat, and if you concerned that it can pass on worms, then your only options are to take him to a vet or get help from a rescue group (who might suggest that you give up the cat). A rescue group may have the ability to refer you to a low cost vet.

Good luck and please let us know how it is working out.

jenl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can be a host of things, parasites, worms, colitis, etc, even constipation. If the stool is soft and there is mucous in it, it could be colitis. If the stool is hard, kitty might be constipated. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS:clap: And how wonderful that you took on your friend's cat :hugs: and as you mentioned, he probably has not had much care. :sniffle:..... I know you mentioned you don't have money to go to a vet - but if you want to make sure this cat is worm-free, you need to take in a stool sample asap. Can you just call a vet, explain that you basically "rescued" this cat and just need a stool sample checked without having to bring in the cat? Explain that finances are very tight and you have children and need to have the stool checked and that the cat needs to be dewormed accordingly. Another option - SOME shelter's run a vet clinic - you could call and plead your case to them and ask for some assistance. I know of one shelter near me that will do this for people :nod:..... and only charge minimally to help you in this type of situation. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

p.s. Please do not use ANY over the counter flea/worming products for this cat, as Momofmany mentioned....... AND they are not effective..... Oh dear - those are just dangerous and I wish they would be taken off the market...... Always - always get products directly from your vet for fleas/worms.

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For what it's worth, we had a cat that had occasional bright red blood in his stool his entire life.  Probably just an irritated blood vessel close to the rectum, according to the vet.

That said, it's a good idea to get a vet's opinion.

And I'm with the kids.  If you want a cuddle buddy, get the cat neutered/spayed and keep him indoors.

medicate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a very serious issue you are talking about. Have you had any testing for toxoplasmosis done? It is extremely harmful to a fetus if a pregnant woman becomes infected. It is transmitted from cats such as the one in your story. This is more concerning for human health than cat health.

The cat probably ate a bone or something that caused some bleeding. If the cat has no diarrhea than its less likely to be an infection. If a fever develops than it definitely is an infection. If the cat has worsening of the bleeding it will need a trip to the vet regardless.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, how wonderful of you to rescue this kitty! If you would like assistance finding rescues or clinics near you, please either PM me your zip code, or post your State and County, or a city or town near you or in which you live. :)

It is a little confusing, because some safe and effective flea treatments formerly only available at the vet can now be purchased online or at many pet stores. Safe and effective flea/tick treatments include Frontline and Advantage. It's not a bad idea to buy a flea collar - not to put on the cat! - but to cut up and put in the bag or canister of the vacuum cleaner. They're very effective at killing fleas and eggs, but can also kill the cat. :(

As to internal parasites like round worm or tapeworm, the only effective treatments, as has already been pointed out, can only be obtained from a vet. As far as the kids go, the cat really doesn't present much of a risk, especially if they learn to wash their hands after playing with/petting him. And bringing him inside full time really is healthiest for all of you. :)

This is a very serious issue you are talking about. Have you had any testing for toxoplasmosis done?
Really, these scare tactics are unnecessary, and obviously no testing has been done, the OP states they have not been to a vet, and due to financial constraints is looking for advice.

MediCATe said:
It is extremely harmful to a fetus if a pregnant woman becomes infected. It is transmitted from cats such as the one in your story. This is more concerning for human health than cat health.
Yes, it is something to be aware of, but cats are only infectious for 10 days to two weeks IF it's even contracted. Most people have already been exposed and have developed immunity. Improperly cooked meat is a far bigger risk http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/toxoplasmosis.aspx . Happy to provide links to the CDC or more detail if you're interested in knowing more, thurmansj. But if you want to be very cautious, you can wear gloves while scooping litter, though washing your hands after scooping, which you probably do anyway, is typically sufficient.

But as the others have pointed out, blood in the stool can be caused by so many things. I think Feralvr had the best suggestion for finding affordable assistance. :cross: