Blood in Poop

lissydrum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Stan, is FIV+. Age unknown. I've had him for over a year. He is a long-haired so sometimes things can get a little messy in the hindquarters. This morning after using his litterbox I noticed blood in the fur on his bottom. Upon closer examination I saw that there was quite a lot of blood. His poop didn't have any blood though. And this has never happened before. I am very observant with him and keep him indoors as well. He is trained on a leash and we occasionally go on walks (I know that sounds weird)! Anyway, I've booked an appointment for him this afternoon but wondered if anyone had any thoughts or might know what the cause is for the blood...? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before being shocked at the vet. 

Thank you!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a number of things. Generally, if the blood is red, it is likely to be less serious than if it is black, as red blood will probably have originated from near the end of the digestive canal, possibly from the anal opening or the anal glands, rather than from the internal organs. But it is good that he is going to the vet today, good luck for a quick recovery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lissydrum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

Turns out it was an infection. He had a jab and is all sorted now. Gave him extra cuddles. xx