Blood in my cat's urine...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jedinat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

Okay, several questions:
Is there dry out at the same time as wet?
How long are you leaving out the wet food? An hour? A few hours?
Do you refrigerate the food after she eats a bit the first time? If so, do you heat it up?
Do you put the whole can down? Or put the food in a bowl? Do you scoop it up with a spoon in a big piece? Or cut in into chunks?

The answers to these questions can help us greatly solve the wet food issue.

As for suggesting foods, Petsmart makes a food called Simply Nourish and its strips of chicken/duck/fish in gravy and my cat LOVES IT. And it will offer her lots of moisture.

Also, unless your cat Seems stressed (running around meowing for food, etc) I would continue trying to switch to wet at this time.
I haven't fed her dry today nor yesterday... I leave the wet out a few hours. I've been throwing it away then... I only put out a small amount of the can and then refrigerate it... then microwave a bit the next portion I put out. I put it in a small bowl or plate, usually squashing it up with a fork.

She's eating, but no where near 6 ounces in a day...

This whole thing is really starting to wear on me... I've myself been in a constant state of stress for over a week... it's really come to a head today and yesterday... I find myself thinking "If only she was gone..." something I wouldn't have ever thought myself to even consider a week ago. The financial aspect isn't good either. Unemployed, living at home, with family members that the cat doesn't take to and so they're uninterested in the cat (doesn't help that she's ruined all the carpets in past years). I can't afford anything, let alone what I've already spent (into the hundreds now), and the looming in the future is a markedly higher upkeep with expensive cat food and who knows what else... sigh.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jedinat

I haven't fed her dry today nor yesterday... I leave the wet out a few hours. I've been throwing it away then... I only put out a small amount of the can and then refrigerate it... then microwave a bit the next portion I put out. I put it in a small bowl or plate, usually squashing it up with a fork.

She's eating, but no where near 6 ounces in a day...

This whole thing is really starting to wear on me... I've myself been in a constant state of stress for over a week... it's really come to a head today and yesterday... I find myself thinking "If only she was gone..." something I wouldn't have ever thought myself to even consider a week ago. The financial aspect isn't good either. Unemployed, living at home, with family members that the cat doesn't take to and so they're uninterested in the cat (doesn't help that she's ruined all the carpets in past years). I can't afford anything, let alone what I've already spent (into the hundreds now), and the looming in the future is a markedly higher upkeep with expensive cat food and who knows what else... sigh.
Okay, you can leave it out for up to 12 hours. If she is at least eating Some that is good. Don't put any dry down yet, it usually takes a few days for the cat to stop being stubborn and eat. You have to be more stubborn than a cat!!

I wouldn't squash it up, I would scoop up a chunk with a spoon and then cut it up into smaller pieces. You can also try adding a couple spoonfuls of hot water to it.

When I first started feeding wet, I had to put some down, let him eat, pick it up, 'refresh' it with new chunks and hot water, put it down, pick back up, and continue to do this until he wouldnt eat any more.
Also, as far as a way to get her more excited without breaking your bank is to add either parmesan, string cheese or tuna to the food. Most people already have these in their house.

I'm sorry you are in the situation you are in... :[
Have you looked into financial aid for pets? If there aren't sites listed here, I know at another forum I'm at, there are sites listed where if you are out of work, you can get a grant for money for food, vet care, etc. You dont ever have to pay it back.

You're doing good, don't give up yet!!

jedinat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I pretty much completely gave up on her eating the wet food, and was just giving her the dry food and putting out a bit of wet food at night just because. Well, the night before last I noticed it was gone in the morning. I tried putting some more out the next day and it was gone by evening. Today I tried just putting out the cheap wet food she didn't like before and it was gone by the end of the day. Even after it had sat for hours she came back and finished the dry bits on her own.

So... I starve her twice (for 3 days and then 4 days) and she won't eat. Yet I give up and give her the dry food and she starts eating the wet? What the heck is wrong with my cat?

Anyways, she's still peeing in small amounts and I don't really care anymore. Well I've told myself I don't care and am basically ignoring it. She's not exhibiting any signs of ill health otherwise; not peeing on the carpet. Whatever. My callous heart won't budge until she starts crying or appearing ominously ill.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing wrong with your cat, cats are just weird like that. Just be happy that she changed her mind.

The only thing that worries me about what you are saying is, if you don't care, why keep her? Peeing in small amounts could mean that she is starting to block, and that is very painful. And unfortunately, by the time your cat starts to cry, if she does, it's usually too late to save them, and then I think you will be very sad she is gone... :[
Have you done any work to try to get her comfortable around the cage? She really needs to get back to the vet so that she can stay overnight and let the vet collect a pee sample. Infections of the bladder are serious, and if they spread to the blood are 100% fatal without treatment.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Anyways, she's still peeing in small amounts and I don't really care anymore. Well I've told myself I don't care and am basically ignoring it. She's not exhibiting any signs of ill health otherwise; not peeing on the carpet. Whatever. My callous heart won't budge until she starts crying or appearing ominously ill.
Look, I am really sorry for your situation at home right now. No job, living at home, no money to pay for vet, and now expensive food etc. But, this cat has to come first, especially with a potentially serious condition that could very well get worse as the days go on. Maybe I am wrong, and she will be fine
but peeing often and small amounts, with blood in urine, is not normal. Also, this cat might feel your anxiety and feel that she is a burden and that in itself could be causing Neko stress (which goes directly to a cat's bladder)
. And by the time she is crying or ominously ill, it might be too late anyway. I have to wonder if this kitty needs a new situation.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Look, I am really sorry for your situation at home right now. No job, living at home, no money to pay for vet, and now expensive food etc. But, this cat has to come first, especially with a potentially serious condition that could very well get worse as the days go on. Maybe I am wrong, and she will be fine
but peeing often and small amounts, with blood in urine, is not normal. Also, this cat might feel your anxiety and feel that she is a burden and that in itself could be causing Neko stress (which goes directly to a cat's bladder)
. And by the time she is crying or ominously ill, it might be too late anyway. I have to wonder if this kitty needs a new situation.
and giving up is hardly the right attitude IMHO.... There are dry urinary foods available in the market - plenty of them.... They were discussed... I am not sure why they haven't been tried yet?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So... I starve her twice (for 3 days and then 4 days) and she won't eat. Yet I give up and give her the dry food and she star
Please don't "starve" her again! It can cause Liver Damage, and trust me you DO NOT want to go down that road. Do a search for Liver problems/not eating. It is very severe and it CAN happen if a cat doesn't eat for as little as 2 days. It can easily kill a cat. I am not jumping on you, obviously you did know. I went though liver probs (differnt cause) for 5 months, 5 months of force feeding and giving sub q fliuds. He lived but he still has to take meds daily. It took over $3,000, I literally didn't have it, and 24hr care from me (getting up every single 2hrs for over a month to force feed him, he wasn't keeping it down) for that cat to live. But he was worth it.

That said, the reason you cat is not peeing in the box is because she is in PAIN. When she pees in the box and it hurts/burns she tries to avoid the box by peeing somewhere else, she thinks the box/litter is hurting her not the untreated Urinary problem. I cannot believe that a vet sent you home with no meds, no food, nothing. That is freaking INSANE. Untreated urinary problems can cause permanent Kidney problems.

I cant belive that this cat wasn't on Rx food, antibiotics, and steroids WEEKS ago. It's very standard... in fact I know exactly what meds my vet would give me if I walked in today with a "pee pee" cat. They would do an exam, pH strip test, talk about Rx food, and give me meds (Amoxicillon or Bayrtil, Pred, and possibly a steroid/antiboitic shot.) If the cat didn't show improvment they would send in a culture of the pee to find a better antibiotic. It's not really brain science... In fact I am willing to bet that most vets see several cases of UTI/crystals every day. And if it was a male cat that was blocked and they were not able to "fix" it, I would be forking over $1,000 for a p/u surgery to save his live. (been there done that) Yes, girl cats block waaay less than males. But she doesn't have to be blocked for this to be serious.

It's hard to believe that you've spent that much money and still have no meds. I've delt with UTI/crystals so many times and the vet *always* give my cats meds and the cat almost always is 80% better in 2-3 days.

There are dry foods for this issue, your vet sells them. Hills c/d is one.

Please call around to other vets... get quotes it you have to. This cat needs meds fast, or you will have more than just crystals to worry about. Apply for CareCredit.....

jedinat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone cares, Neko appears to be all better. After my last post her pee clumps were never as small as they had been. Now they are fairly large clumps and she's peeing only a couple times in a 12-hour period.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If anyone cares, Neko appears to be all better. After my last post her pee clumps were never as small as they had been. Now they are fairly large clumps and she's peeing only a couple times in a 12-hour period.
That's great news!!

mamaof3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can't agree..when I got my mom's two girls back in April both displayed the same issues you mention and it turned out both had UTI and crystals in the urin. With Piper it took three different antibiotics for her to become asymptomatic and I stress asymptomatic as her urine when tested a few days ago still showed bacteria. They are now growing a culture to determine what antibiotic she needs to get rid of the remaining bacteria.

Please, I urge you, have her tested !!!!!!!!!

lucice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Get your cat to the vet now this could be fatal my cat has just got this earlier today and after research I got an appointment ASAP