Blood glucose levels not responding to treatment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonbrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been increased to 12 units but his numbers don't seem to improve no matter how much they increase the dose

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the Lantus dose as I'm not familiar with that insulin but it's supposed to be increased until there is a response. But again 12 units sounds like a lot. Prozinc is measured on a different concentration but I was only using 2 units. Are you sure he's not supposed to be giving 1.2 units? Unfortunately there is no set dose for every cat. Any idea if these glucose levels are lower that what they are without insulin?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 Are you sure he's not supposed to be giving 1.2 units?
1.2 units is an odd dose unless one is very experienced and knows how to micro dose and hows how the cat will respond.

@moonbrie see the stickies on the FDMB Lantus board for more info on how to use the insulin: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-glargine-levemir-detemir.9/ You generally hold a dose for at least a week to see if there is a response. If not, then a small 1 unit increase is done and held for another week or so. Honestly I think you can get a ton more help from long time users of Lantus on the FDMB than you can here on TCS.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonbrie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just responding to hexies questions - I plan to make a thread there. Also, his dose has  been increased using that method. It wasn't just suddenly increased by a lot, this has been on ongoing thing. I know 12 is very high which is why I've been concerned.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think maybe a vet that specializes in cats may be a good idea even just for a consult, something else maybe be going.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi

I have not been on this board for years and hope you are and see my message.

I am a feline diabetes expert although not a vet.

You cannot properly treat diabetes while feeding dry food anymore then you could put out a fire with a mixture of water and gasoline. If your cat did not take steroids then your cat got diabetes from eating dry food in the first place.

Lantus is a great insulin and I have about an 80% remission rate and a 90% regulation rate with people that use this insulin. That does not mean it would work for your cat but most likely would.

Were you advised never to shoot air or insulin back into the vial?    Do you home test? It is the only way to know if it is safe to give insulin as well as giving the info needed to treat this disease correctly.  Lantus will last months if handled properly.  No shaking no mixing and no air or insulin from the needle back into the vial as well as keep refrigerated.

Tests done at the vets can be off hundreds of points (10-20 points for Europe/Canada) because of stress and other factors making those test not useful and advice on dosing based on those tests dangerous.

Doses need to be raised only 1/2 unit at a time. Giving 12 units and feeding dry food is a recipe for disaster.

You need to talk with your family about putting all cats on a proper diet. Dry food is the major reason cat's get diabetes, kidney disease, blockages, obese to name just a few problems it causes.    If you can cease  the dry food and agree to test before every shot as well as do spotchecks when needed then I am willing to work with you everyday till not needed anymore. My email  is [email protected] if interested