Blood Donators! I'm so embarassed!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My left arm likes to cramp in the cold weather, especially if I try to pick anything up with it. I know I'm low in potassium (always am), you may be as well. That could certainly cause you problems with cramping, feeling faint/lightheaded, and if you feel tired for no reason some days.

Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I half-joked that my blood must be really slow... the nurse told me it had stopped completely... erk! I guess my blood loves to clot...
You should have that checked out. There are health risks associated with that. Does anyone else in your family have thicker blood? Of course it could also be an inexperienced tech, apparently some don't quite know what they're doing if there's a problem.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to give blood once and I honestly haven't done it again since because the experience was so terrible. It started out ok but a minute or two later, I stated to feel dizzy, nauseous and really hot. The whole room was spinning around. I thought for sure I was going to pass out. I had to call the lady over to take the needle out and then she made drink down a whole big bottle of nasty tasting gatorade.

I felt better after a few minutes and looking back on the experience I'm almost certain that happen because I didn't really eat anything.

Maybe one day I'll try again....

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've given for years and have had only one bad experience - it was a bad stick, it hurt like crazy and it took forever for the bag to fill. I had a really bad bruise and pain for days afterwards. The next time I went in to give blood I explained why I was apprehensive because of my last donation and the sticker took extra special care with me and I didn't feel a thing.

I just never look while the needle is being put in and I'm usually fine.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my wife had gone to give blood several times, But she always get sick and wants to faint, just as soon as she walks in.

As for me, they told me they dont want my blood. so oh well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isabel

I've given for years and have had only one bad experience - it was a bad stick, it hurt like crazy and it took forever for the bag to fill. I had a really bad bruise and pain for days afterwards. The next time I went in to give blood I explained why I was apprehensive because of my last donation and the sticker took extra special care with me and I didn't feel a thing.

I just never look while the needle is being put in and I'm usually fine.
!!!!!! Maybe that's another reason I fainted this time!!!!!! The last time I only felt the needle when he stuck me and this time it was very uncomfortable and hurt nearly the whole time. And I do have a bruise already!!! Owwww

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once I almost passed out. But that was so long ago! Now they won't take my blood anymore since I lived in Europe for several years and they assume I have mad cow disease. And that even though I am always borderline anemica because I don't eat very much red meat!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

It was so embarassing...
Dont be embarrassed! You are somebody's hero!!!! My 5 year old son was diagnosed with cancer almost 3 years ago, he has had countless whole blood and platelet transfusions - without generous donors I wouldnt be blessed to kiss him and tuck him into bed each night!

I sometimes feel faint when I dontate, but it isnt so much from the sight of the blood but from dehydration or lack of sugar. Also I amborderline anemic- my blood just barely drops fast enough to allow me to donate (in fact most of the time they have to spin it to be sure I can donate)

Anyway... make sure your "juiced up" before you donate as well as take time for yourself after ~ You ROCK!

~Marian

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Don't feel bad - I've seen grown men go into convulsions.
I started a blood drive at my office a few years ago, and there was big-ole-250-lb man refuse to donate because he was afraid of needles.

<sigh>

now if only the people receiving that blood had that option...

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

the nurse told me it had stopped completely... erk! I guess my blood loves to clot...
This happened to me once - and of all times - it was during my son's bone marrow/blood drive.

My blood stopped flowing approx half-way. The nurse told me it was because I was dehydrated. When I thought about it, she was totally right. I had spent the morning running around passing out flyers and later socializing at the drive - by the time it was my turn, I never realized I hadnt had a drink all day.

Live and Learn.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

So I went to give blood (for my second time) today, and it didn't turn out so well. I started seeing spots and getting dizy while by blood was being drawn and went out!!! It was so embarassing because they had a fan on me and two people helping me to be sure I was ok. After I was feeling better I asked her if I would faint every time (because I was really close to fainting last time too). She told me that I probably would faint every time
I forgot to mention that I HATE blood and I'm terrified of needles.

Has anyone else fainted?
Don't feel embaressed, it happens to alot of people. Mum and i went to donate together once, i was perfectly fine, but she was so close to blacking out, a deathly white. I think they did to her what they did to me the first time i donated. Thinking they could find a vein, and they keep poking around but all they hit is flesh, and it hurts like nothing you could imagine!!! I'm left handed and they tried doing it in my opposite arm, but they found the good vein is in my left! lol

It's perfectly normal. Just make sure if you do go again, have food, and lots of water beforehand to plump your veins. Then orange juice and some snack afterwards, and sit for half an hour.

Oh and if it makes you feel a bit better, i got a vaccination 6 days ago, i still have a lump at the injection site. The doc said he'd use the baby needle (because i was nervous) and it hurt like anything *sobs*

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Don't feel embaressed, it happens to alot of people. Mum and i went to donate together once, i was perfectly fine, but she was so close to blacking out, a deathly white. I think they did to her what they did to me the first time i donated. Thinking they could find a vein, and they keep poking around but all they hit is flesh, and it hurts like nothing you could imagine!!! I'm left handed and they tried doing it in my opposite arm, but they found the good vein is in my left! lol
In Janurary I had a couple of nurses complaining that they couldn't find a good vein on me to put an IV in - I'm pale with almost transparent skin in some places, so it's easy to SEE the veins. (you could take a pen and play "trace the veins.
)
The doctor that did my tilt table test said "Oh, that's no problem. You just have to prep them a little" and had the IV a few second later.

I'm sure some of the nurses (or former nurses) on here will say the same. It's from practice and skill.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not donate blood because my Anemia and my husband cant because of Leukemia. We do thank the people that Donate Blood. he had alot of transfusions in 2005.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LIke some others, they won't take my blood because I've had cancer in the past
and I also tend to suffer (almost regularly) with anaemia - otherwise I would gladly go and give blood. I have no problems with blood or needles, though I do recall very clearly when I was pregnant, my son's father having to go and have a lie down in a room next door when I had a blood test done! How useful he turned out to be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I'm glad to hear that people on her have had personal experiences with transfusions! It makes me feel really good! My mom thinks I'm crazy for donating blood and thinks I should get paid

I feel really good now, knowing poeple who have had transfusions.