Blood coming from cats bum?

bk1406

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other day I noticed a clear/ bloody fluid around my cats bum. It dried up over the next two days but he has just gone in the litter box and has come out with his bottom covered in bright red blood again. Any ideas what this could be? He is eating and playing fine, but seems to lick the area fairly frequently?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other day I noticed a clear/ bloody fluid around my cats bum. It dried up over the next two days but he has just gone in the litter box and has come out with his bottom covered in bright red blood again. Any ideas what this could be? He is eating and playing fine, but seems to lick the area fairly frequently?
He needs to see a vet. Can you take him to a vet? My guess is that he has an allergy or a parasite.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He could also have an anal gland abscess that ruptured. I had two cats with this condition. One was fine with treatment for the infection and the other I didn't know about it because she hid for two days and by the time I was able to get her to the hospital the infection was so bad I had to euthanize her, five days later after trying everything they could to save her, and $8,000 later.
It could be less serious, but better to not wait, as I found out the hard way. The first cat I caught early was fine with a vet visit and treatment.