blocked urinary tract

Olliewall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello friends,
on Saturday morning we rushed our cat to the vet after we assumed was constipation but he then stopped peeing. turns out he had a blocked bladder. he ended staying overnight and had a catheter put in and an iv for fluids. they emptied his bladder and found he had crystals that we currently waiting on a sample to be studied to see what type as they say it was a mix of two types. we took home and Sunday with painkillers and cystease and a painkiller. we saw the vet again yesterday and they have upped his painkiller and gave us more tablets for ulcers and one for utis. I think we are currently treating him for cystsis.
since he's came home he's been using his tray often, wee coming out every time and only being on it for less than a minute when before when he was blocked it could be five to ten minutes. do you think hes blocked again or should wait a couple more days for the medication to take full effect.
if he completely stops weeing ill take him back to the vet I'm just worried.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am sorry that you are facing this with your cat and you were very proactive to get him immediate treatment. There may be some follow-up to this, like dietary changes or other suggestions, once they have the results in.

To answer your question, urinary blockage can be such a serious issue with a male cat, that it really comes down to whether or not you think that something is wrong, since we are not there to view your cat personally. I am reading the last part of your post as he is peeing more than he was and it is coming out more quickly, but he is using the box frequently. The frequent use could still be an attempt to void his bladder and the one minute time frame could be both positive or not, depending on what is actually going on. If you suspect that something is wrong, or if this looks different than how he peed before all of this started, I would err on the side of caution and call the vet or take him in.