Blocked nose, cant smell food

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear they are starting to eat again.

My standard for antibiotics is Clavamox for 10 days if the URI is cauing their nose to be stopped up, which then causes the not eatng time.

I've learned that as long as they are on antibiotics, they wil not starve themselves to death, although at times it seems that way.

It akes the med 2 days for the start of recovery, and you can see the improvements by the 3rd day, by day 4-5 the eating should resume, but always give at LEAST 7 days,preferably 10 to avoid the cold returning.

If it goes on too long or I see dehydration starting I give pediolyte and chicken baby food via syringe, to help them through to recovery, as I recently did for a cat with pneummonia, Hope.

Don't worry about replacing the nutrition lost, it will be back in balance soon enough.

I would however give a good canned food at dinner time, or at least once a day. I'm not sure what they are normally fed.

I do question a few things, as you have read already, a sick cat is never given vaccines. It's only asking for trouble.

Also, the vet should NOT charge fo a re-check, only the additional antibiotics. If they DO need another bottle, I would certainly ask for Clavamox, it's Amoxicilln with an added ingredient that is proven to be absorbed better and will do the job faster.

I have more to say herebut for some reason this is wat my typing s trningout like on this sie, o I will have to find out hats going on. Good luck!

I've had to proofrea therest and wha a pain!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookietown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
its betamox the antibiotic he gave me, Trixie is still sneezing a little and would rather eat treats than food, but Pixie is pretty much back to normal chasing flies and everything :)

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like they are on the mend
I love seeing good news!  So happy for you that things seem to be turning around for the better.