Blockage, Catheterization, Urinary Problems.

CalliopeandNat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m new to this site. My cats name is Calliope (kuh-lie-oh-pee) or kuhli for short. He’s about a year old and has been having blockage problems since he was 5 mo old. About 4 weeks ago I had to take him in for another blockage. They put in a catheter for 2 days, I took him home for 1 night and immediately had to take him back in the next morning for exhibiting signs of continued blockage. They put in another catheter and had that in for almost 5 days! He is now home but has been urinating every but the litter box, and seems to almost be holding his urine in until I am home again (I have a job and go to the gym frequently so he is home without me more often then I’d like to admit). He drips all over as he walks and often rolls on to his back and dribbles as he licks himself. He is easily expressed and I do it often because I’m afraid of him holding urine in for too long and hurting himself. he is currently stuck in my room 24/7 because I do not live on my own and can’t have him peeing all over other peoples things. It doesn’t seem as though he is even attempting to use his litter box, although he does defecate in the box. He is on another dose of antibiotics, pain meds and another medication for incontence that I can’t recall the name of. I’m at a loss of what to do at this point. He’s the best cat I’ve ever known/had but it’s been almost a month of him peeing all over everything. I could use all the help I can get! 2 pictures, one is him at his most recent vet visit (just him) and the other is him the night home after his first vet visit.(him snuggled on me)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CalliopeandNat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should mention that at no point does it seem as though he is purposefully peeing, it’s always accidental dribbling.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the forum and came here for support but sorry Kuhli is having health problems. Just out of curiosity, do you feel your current vet is addressing all of your cat's needs to your satisfaction? If not, you may want to consider a second opinion. However, if you have a good relationship with your vet and trust his judgement then that is reassuring.

I thought this Article on FLUTD may be helpful: Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd)

Thank you for the pics, your boy is adorable. :lovecat3: Best of luck, please keep us updated on Kuhli's progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CalliopeandNat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C CalliopeandNat , Welcome! I love his name, very unique.
Is the vet aware of the dribbling issue?
What is his diet like?
Yes, I brought him back to the vet a few days ago because of the dribbling. They basically said they didn’t know what the problem was other than he had a minor UTI, and that is when they put him on another set of antibiotics and pain meds as well as phenylpropanolamine (a medicine used to treat incontinence). He has been on a prescribed cd urinary food (dry food) since his first bout of stones at about 5 mo old.