Bloating After Metronidazole

jrotem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've looked through a lot of the posts here about Metronidazole but so far haven't found anything like this.

My 6-year old Kiki had diarrhea for a few days, so the vet suggested putting her on Metronidazole. This was in mid-October. The diarrhea resolved quickly, and she felt ok. Then, about 2 or 3 days after she completed the meds, she suddenly got bloated. The vet had suggested Fortiflora while taking the meds but having hardly worked this year due to COVID I held off. But after, with the bloating he advised it again, along with a prebiotic food (Hills GI Biome.) I know I take probiotics with/after Metronidazole so that made sense to me and did both.

For a month the bloating continued and he then suggested stopping the Fortiflora but continuing the GI Biome, However, since I hadn't heard back from him right away, I also consulted with the senior vet/owner, whom I know for many years. His suggestion was the opposite -- continue the Fortiflora, feed her whatever she'll eat, and said it could take 2 months for things to resolve.

I know that doctors often use a "let's try and see" approach since one size doesn't fit all. The problem was my consulting two of them and letting myself get indecisive and confused (also because of COVID I know they are losing a lot of staff and are under a lot of stress.) I stopped the Fortiflora but she continues to be boated so perhaps I should try it again.

What I'd like to know is -- has anyone else here seen such a reaction of bloating after Metronidazole? She was a slim, panther-y shape before, but now sometimes looks like she's got tennis balls in there... other days it looks like it's starting to resolve. She's a bit less playful than usual but will still run after fishing rod toys, will shimmy up to her cat tree top (a tad less elegantly) and is cuddly and purry as ever. Stools are normal but very smelly (and she won't now cover!o_O) I would greatly appreciate knowing if anyone's seen this reaction (if indeed it's a reaction.) Sorry this was so long, and thank you.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metronidazole can completely wipe up gut flora and it can take months for it to go back to normal. Fortiflora is a really, really weak probiotics, I’d use something way more stronger with added prebiotics. I highly recommend Adored Beast Love Bug, I believe it can only be bought from their website. It’s very strong and should work much quicker. Or some probiotics for humans that may be easier to buy, Renew Life or Now brands. They don’t have prebiotic suitable for cats though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jrotem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metronidazole can completely wipe up gut flora and it can take months for it to go back to normal. Fortiflora is a really, really weak probiotics, I’d use something way more stronger with added prebiotics. I highly recommend Adored Beast Love Bug, I believe it can only be bought from their website. It’s very strong and should work much quicker. Or some probiotics for humans that may be easier to buy, Renew Life or Now brands. They don’t have prebiotic suitable for cats though.
I do have my own probiotics but don't feel informed enough to know if its particular formula is right for a cat. So I will look into Love Bug, thanks! Just curious, are you familiar with that company's Healthy Gut product?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have my own probiotics but don't feel informed enough to know if its particular formula is right for a cat. So I will look into Love Bug, thanks! Just curious, are you familiar with that company's Healthy Gut product?
all of their products are awesome, Healthy Gut included. Love Bugs is pre-and probiotics only, in high doses, Healthy Gut has these in lower doses plus digestive enzymes. I personally use Love Bugs as my guys don't really have digestive issues, but if you think yours would benefit from digestive enzymes, then Healthy Gut is definitely something to be considered. I've seen someone recommending using another probiotics to add together with Healthy Gut to increase it's number. But if the only probiotics you used so far is Fortiflora, then their amount in Healthy Gut would already be a significant increase :)

There's also Gut Soothe that some people swear by, but I haven't researched it enough to be comfortable sharing anything.

btw search for internet coupons as they sometimes offer 20% discount.

There's also sacharomyces boulardi+MOS (Yarrow brand) that is awesome when it comes to controlling diarrhea, but we're also using it in maintenance dose to make sure my cats guts are in the best shape (they eat raw, so it's important to us). Here's some into about it:
http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/s-boulardii---review-of-the-science.html
And about pro and prebiotics in general:
http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/probiotics-for-cats---why-and-which-ones.html