Bloated Tummy

pltnm94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there has been multiple posts on kittens having bloated/big belly but I don't seem to find solutions on how I can immediately respond to it... I have found an orphaned kitten a week ago and I have been feeding her goat milk (that specifically has the "appropriate milk for small kittens and dogs" on the label). I can't seem to remember if she has had her belly that big ever since I found her, but I have been aware of her tummy's condition for 3 days now.

Any solution to this? Thank you in advance! (The kitten does seem fine though, sleeping all day and squirming around her makeshift pen when awake.. I'm just concerned of its tummy)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is her weight?

Has she been gaining or losing weight compared to the amount of food she eats?

One possible cause for a bloated belly is worms. If she has worms badly enough to bloat the belly, she probably isn't absorbing all the nutrition she needs and might not be gaining weight, normally. The worms in her stomach would "steal" her food before her body can put it to use.

If she does have worms, you'll likely see signs in her stool. They often look like strands of thread, grains of rice or bits of spaghetti. If they are bad enough, she might barf them up, too.

Sometimes, kittens just have big bellies. It's just a natural part of being a kitten.

The way to know, for sure, is to take the kitten to a vet and have her examined. They'll do a test for worms and, if it's positive, they'll give her a pill and, maybe, one for you to give her a few days later. Once the medicine takes effect, the worms will be gone.

Some people say that kittens just "come with worms." While that's not exactly true, there is a grain of truth to it.
Kittens are more susceptible and, because they are so small, worm infestations "take hold" much easier. That's why many vets just de-worm as a matter of policy.

Since your kitten came from living outdoors, the chances of her getting worms is greater. You might not have seen signs of them when you brought her in because the infestation hadn't taken hold but, now that she's living indoors and getting better food, the worms can take hold and grow.

Best course of action is to take your kitten to the vet for a checkup and de-worming.

Besides, when you adopt a new kitten, it is best to touch base with a vet and establish a relationship while she's still young.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pltnm94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten hasn't been eating any food aside from the milk, it's still around its first few weeks I think, given that the eyes still hasn't opened yet. I've tried to watch videos on youtube too, some say the big belly means the kitten's fine but some say it's also due to worms (or other microbial beings/parasites).
I'm considering to wait for few more days (or until the kitten show signs of uneasiness?) I think the vet's fee will cost me a lot in my are so I'll save up first (still studying). Thank you so much for your response though! :))

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've got a kitten with her eyes still shut, she's less than two weeks old.

It's a good thing that you brought this kitten in where she'll be safe and have a good home with somebody who loves her but she needs her mother. A one or two week old kitten should not be away from its mother.

Do you know where the mother is? You should look for her and, if you still can, return her to Mom.

Better still... Bring the mom and the rest of the kittens, if there are any, inside where they can be safe.
You don't have to keep them. Just give them a temporary home until they are old enough to strike out on their own.
Do you have a garage or a shed where they can stay?

You can keep one or more of the kittens if you want to but, right now, it is vital that your kitten be with her mother until she is weaned... Four weeks, at minimum.

If you can't find the mother, get some "Kitten Milk Replacement. (AKA: "KMR")
It's like baby formula for cats.

If you can't get KMR, goat's milk will be okay but use KMR if you can.

Mother's milk is best. A mother's first milk (colostrum) has antibodies in it that will strengthen her immune system. Without it, she'll have a harder time staying healthy for the long term.

I still stand by my first advice. Get your kitten to the vet. Have her checked for worms and other things.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first guess is worms or constipation. I suggest a trip to the vet with your little bean for a check up and to possibly be dewormed. The vet can also show you how to stimulate your kitty to poop and pee.