Bloated/lopsided cat belly! Help!

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So 7 days ago I noticed my cat started to get very bloated. I took her to the hospital 2 days after I noticed, but it was a 6 hour wait and they checked her vitals (they came back fine) So we came home and the next morning she seemed to look slimmer and I was relieved. But now I’m not sure if it was in my imagination because it’s what I wanted. Currently, She looks just as bloated as she did a week ago, but now she is bigger on her left side. She has no other symptoms at all she eats well, plays well, drinks well, uses the litter (but lately she’s been going in my rabbits cage when it’s open, but also use her litter box in the same time frame. That has been going on for over a month now). I need to know if this is urgent or if this can wait until her appointment that’s in another 7 days.
*Please do not say FIP I have been crying for days thinking it might be that. If you genuinely think it might be though, don’t be afraid to say it.
*these photos were taken 7 days ago, her left side now has a bit of a bulge.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also she is barely 1 1/2 years old

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please keep my baby indica in your prayers I cannot lose my best friend this soon. I don’t think I can handle it , I’m just starting to get my life together again and she’s just been my little cheerleader this whole time pushing me through. If anything happens to her too soon I’m scared I’ll absolutely fall apart again beyond repair. I can’t handle the back-to-back heartache..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no way to tell or know if this is an urgent situation or not. Have to you talked to the vet - maybe even send pics to them? Perhaps if they see the pics and you talk with them, they might try to have her seen sooner.

It probably isn't FIP as I would think that she would be demonstrating other signs of illness, but no one here can know that for sure.

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no way to tell or know if this is an urgent situation or not. Have to you talked to the vet - maybe even send pics to them? Perhaps if they see the pics and you talk with them, they might try to have her seen sooner.

It probably isn't FIP as I would think that she would be demonstrating other signs of illness, but no one here can know that for sure.
yes I called and told them my situation again n asked if there were to be any cancellations if I could get in. They said no. I called every vet within 20 miles of my city I have the soonest appointment. I don’t have the money to go to a walk in clinic but I already waited a week longer than I really wanted to.

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s been spayed since April n she hasn’t left my house since April

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just continue to monitor her for other signs of illness. If other signs appear, call some of the vets again and let them know of any new developments. I would also call daily and ask about cancellations, just in case you catch them at the right time. A lot of vets won't do a cancellation list but will let you know if something has opened up when you call.

EDIT: Check her litter for worms, that is another possible cause for the swelling.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the cat eating the rabbit's hay or pellets? Hay is known to cause bloating in cows and other farm animals. Hay is non toxic to cats but ingestion of a lot of hay or rabbit pellets may cause issues. Can you keep the rabbit cage door closed and the bags of pellets and hay out of reach?

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesn’t get into the hay or his food she just goes in his cage to pee and leaves

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the cat eating the rabbit's hay or pellets? Hay is known to cause bloating in cows and other farm animals. Hay is non toxic to cats but ingestion of a lot of hay or rabbit pellets may cause issues. Can you keep the rabbit cage door closed and the bags of pellets and hay out of reach?
^

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. My cat went to the vet today and got X-rays , but they saw she lost a tooth? N she’s 1 year old. She was malnourished when we got her (4 months ago) she weighed almost 5lbs. Just wondering why and if someone else’s cats has lost teeth this late in life??
2. any digestive cleanse ideas? The X-ray showed her stomach was very big and the vet said it could possibly be due to gorging (but I spread out her eating times in small portions) I’m making her a slow feeder tomorrow, but she also said her small intestine was laying weird or something. So I figure I digestive cleanse or something would be good for her. And dos and donts would also be helpful.
thank you ☺🖤

Her current weight is between 8-9 lbs if that matters

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor dental health can cause tooth loss at any point in life. Many people don't bother to brush their cats teeth or have dental cleanings done. Genetics also plays a role in dental health. Some breeds are more pre-disposed to dental health issues than others, even if regular home dental care is provided. Malnutrition can also cause dental issues.

Digestive cleanses don't work for cats like they do in people. I don't even know if such a thing exists for pets either. If one does or if someone online claims that X cleanse works miracles in cats, I would stay away from it. If the small intestine is in a weird position, that's an anatomical issue that a cleanse or any supplement (probiotics, digestive enzymes, etc) or whatever won't correct. If the cat is able to digest food and poop comes out normally, I wouldn't worry about an anatomical quirk.

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor dental health can cause tooth loss at any point in life. Many people don't bother to brush their cats teeth or have dental cleanings done. Genetics also plays a role in dental health. Some breeds are more pre-disposed to dental health issues than others, even if regular home dental care is provided. Malnutrition can also cause dental issues.

Digestive cleanses don't work for cats like they do in people. I don't even know if such a thing exists for pets either. If one does or if someone online claims that X cleanse works miracles in cats, I would stay away from it. If the small intestine is in a weird position, that's an anatomical issue that a cleanse or any supplement (probiotics, digestive enzymes, etc) or whatever won't correct. If the cat is able to digest food and poop comes out normally, I wouldn't worry about an anatomical quirk.
okay thank you ☺

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet think that the tooth she supposedly lost was ever really there? It could be that she never had one there to begin with. How did the rest of her teeth and gums look?

I guess I would be curious what else the vet had to say about the placement of her intestines - did they say it was likely just an anatomical quirk? Did the vet give you any reason to think you should be using some sort of digestive cleanse? I also would be interested in knowing what the vet had to say about your cat's stomach when you told them that you feed her small, portioned meals.

If you didn't discuss any of this at greater length with the vet, you might want to call and ask to have a follow-up conversation with them.

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s been goring herself and I forgot she’s going to experience whisker fatigue with the current slow feeder I have. Any suggestions to prevent this??

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She literally brushed off the fact that I was feeding her smaller portions. She just kept repeating herself saying she’s gorging. And she did say it’s just the way the intestines are laying but she also wanted to do an ultra sound because it could be concerning. Nothing was said about the teeth

Abassett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the vet think that the tooth she supposedly lost was ever really there? It could be that she never had one there to begin with. How did the rest of her teeth and gums look?

I guess I would be curious what else the vet had to say about the placement of her intestines - did they say it was likely just an anatomical quirk? Did the vet give you any reason to think you should be using some sort of digestive cleanse? I also would be interested in knowing what the vet had to say about your cat's stomach when you told them that you feed her small, portioned meals.

If you didn't discuss any of this at greater length with the vet, you might want to call and ask to have a follow-up conversation with them.
I just thought of the cleanse idea on my own since she said her stomach looked big n full but she hasn’t been eating that much and has been pooping regularly