Blizzard: how long can kitty deal with dirty litter?

floofnugget

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm currently out on vacation and was supposed to return today, but the east coast is getting hammered with the blizzard right now. I'm sad my poor kitty has to brave it alone. My cat sitter came early Friday to take care of everything but because of the storm will only be able to come on Sunday evening (the earliest, and this is even questionable given the scale). My flit got rescheduled with me arriving Monday afternoon.

She has plenty of food and water, but I'm concerned about the litter box. Ultimately it's not a big deal, if she goes outside of the litter box I'll just clean it up. Has anybody else ever been in a similar situation with a kitty? Now I know for winter I'll probably drop her off with a friend so if an emergency happens at least she's around people.

How are your cats doing in the storm?

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your predicament. But, rest assure that you aren't the first person this has happened to, nor will you be the last!

How your kitty handles the litter box depends on a few things
1.) How finnicky is she with her box?
2.) How large is the box?
3.) Do you have more than one litter box?
4.) How frequently does she use the box?

If she isn't too finnicky with her box (meaning it doesn't have to be freshly cleaned for her to use and she will poop where she pees and vice versa), the box is a decent size (like a standard large size box), and there is adequate litter, she is likely to tolerate ok. Though I'm sure she will very much appreciate a clean box as soon as someone is able. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Yes, next time if you are able to leave her with a friend (and your kitty will tolerate this) go for it! Otherwise, maybe having an extra litter box or two available.

Hope everything thaws out enough for you to return home Monday!

meowsonya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yikes! I had the same issue living in Oregon 2 years back - I was traveling for work and got snowed in before I could make it back down the mountain to take care of my kitty.

Best piece of advice for when you travel during winter: buy an extra litter box and leave it out *just in case* air travel or weather become a nightmare. It's a small investment and can have a big payoff!!

You never want to leave the litter box uncleaned for more than 3 days max...can be bad for any cat's mental and physical health. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

floofnugget

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your predicament. But, rest assure that you aren't the first person this has happened to, nor will you be the last!

How your kitty handles the litter box depends on a few things
1.) How finnicky is she with her box?
2.) How large is the box?
3.) Do you have more than one litter box?
4.) How frequently does she use the box?

If she isn't too finnicky with her box (meaning it doesn't have to be freshly cleaned for her to use and she will poop where she pees and vice versa), the box is a decent size (like a standard large size box), and there is adequate litter, she is likely to tolerate ok. Though I'm sure she will very much appreciate a clean box as soon as someone is able. [emoji]128521[/emoji]

Yes, next time if you are able to leave her with a friend (and your kitty will tolerate this) go for it! Otherwise, maybe having an extra litter box or two available.

Hope everything thaws out enough for you to return home Monday!
Thankfully she's only finicky with what litter I use. Otherwise she will use it for both 1 and 2 and I know she uses it even when it hasn't been cleaned yet (of course, she still much prefers a clean one).

Yikes! I had the same issue living in Oregon 2 years back - I was traveling for work and got snowed in before I could make it back down the mountain to take care of my kitty.

Best piece of advice for when you travel during winter: buy an extra litter box and leave it out *just in case* air travel or weather become a nightmare. It's a small investment and can have a big payoff!!

You never want to leave the litter box uncleaned for more than 3 days max...can be bad for any cat's mental and physical health. 
Thanks! That is a good idea, I'll invest in another litter box specifically for travel. Hopefully Monday I will be able to make it in without any trouble (knock on wood).