Blindness

Jaferly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was going to have spay surgery yesterday, after anesthesia, her oxygen level dropped. They couldn’t do surgery. We brought her home.Now she is not sble to see, does that usually happen with anesthesia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaferly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blood says that elevated liver enzyme, probably she has some underlying condition along with anaesthesia, it might how cause blindness.

Jaferly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blood says that elevated liver enzyme, probably she has some underlying condition along with anaesthesia, it might how cause blindness.
Thank you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a condition called hepatic encephalopathy which can occur in dogs and cats and can cause sudden blindness. I am assuming that your cat is young, as she was being spayed, and that this would not be the first guess as to what happened.

Does your vet believe that this is temporary?

Jaferly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually she doesnt know, until they find reason behind it

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Let us know what you are told. This may be temporary, so don't give up hope.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was going to have spay surgery yesterday, after anesthesia, her oxygen level dropped. They couldn’t do surgery. We brought her home.Now she is not sble to see, does that usually happen with anesthesia?
So sorry, hugs. My only experience was with Giorgio, an outdoor cat who was very ill. He suddenly went blind. And then after some treatments he seemed to be able to see again. He was very ill though and he passed away I don’t remember now if they even knew what was going on with his eyes. It could’ve been high blood pressure or some thing like that. I think he had been given some steroids at that point maybe I don’t remember now.

ArchieBrutus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope you are doing okay and your cat is healing! I had this exact thing happen when I got my cat neutered. He went blind and semi paralyzed. I had to reteach him to eat/drink/walk and give him tons and tons of meds since I would not give up on helping him. It was at least a month, maybe two, but I kept testing him with a laser pointer and eventually his sight came back. Its been 2 years and I would say he’s probably back to 85-90% his original eye sight and as happy and active as ever. So don’t give up! Make your vets take care of you!