Blind Kitten

Teddyluvza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I received a feral baby that had fallen oof a roof at age 1 week. He is now 4 weeks old and he is blind, most likely from the fall. Took him to the vet and she confirmed that he is blind and abit of his tail bone also got hurt. He runs around and tries to play. He is very healthy. I just need to know how do I introduce wet food etc. Thanks Pam

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bless your heart from the bottom of my heart for helping this sweetie!!

There is this article, which could be helpful for you, and there are also homemade Pedialyte recipes and kitten glop recipes on the internet, as well as goat milk.

I think if you heat the food just a bit, and be sure and stir it to avoid any hot spots, that will increase it's odor/fragrance for him and help him to "find" it.

Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure all litter boxes, food, water etc.. stay in the same place. They have a 'road map' in their heads and can get around very well as long as things stay the same. Food will be found by smell, so you really shouldn't have much problem. For beginners, just thin the canned food down with water and take your finger and put a tiny bit on his lips, once they get a taste they search for more. All kittens make a huge mess when learning to eat, so be prepared, they walk in it, fall in it, and have it all over their face, just like any baby!
Blind kittens get around very well, and act pretty much normal. Toys should have noise so they can interact with them, and since he is still a baby, he needs to be watched so he doesn't get into trouble. He may feel safer in one room if he has to be left until he learns how to get around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Teddyluvza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I received a feral baby that had fallen oof a roof at age 1 week. He is now 4 weeks old and he is blind, most likely from the fall. Took him to the vet and she confirmed that he is blind and abit of his tail bone also got hurt. He runs around and tries to play. He is very healthy. I just need to know how do I introduce wet food etc. Thanks Pam
I have now a suspicion that he cant smell either....when I go to feed him, het bites and scratches like hell until I litery put his nose in the wet food then he doesnt eat normally but gulps down the food. Any advice will be highly appreciated

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you help him by using a spoon or your finger, with a little food on it to try and guide him to the plate/bowl? That might give him more of a sense that he's in control of things and hopefully help him to not be afraid and fight it.

Also you may want to feed him smaller meals more frequently to help his tummy digest more easily, and to try to keep him from getting too hungry in-between meals.

There are some tips in this such as spreading the food out that could help with the gulping...
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you put the food in the same room with him and let him find it? He may not care to be picked up or carried when he's hungry. The motion may make him a little queasy under those conditions.

Sooner or later he's going to need to be able to find his plate. Pick one place and put the plate in that place every time you find him. do the same with his water bowl and litter box.

Since he's dependent on his sense of smell, I'd get rid of perfumes, scented soaps, and cleansers until he has a solid scent map of your place.