Blind Cat Not Using Litter Box

tfallender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got an older female spayed cat from a rescue about a year ago. We took her because they told us she had been in shelters for 6 years. They didn't give us an age just "older", our vet estimated over 10. She has been absolutely fine all this time till about 4 months ago. She gradually but quickly went mostly blind. Our vet said cataracts. For the first 3 months of this she was fine, she adapted to seeing very little and acted normal, eating, drinking, using the litter box. But the last month she started going to the bathroom in our dining room. So we put up a gate and now she just goes by the gate in the kitchen. We have 3 cats and two litter boxes that are scooped several times a day. She goes in the room where they are, we have even put her in them but now won't use them. We put another litter box where she is going but she still wouldn't use it and the other two started to. We don't know what to do. We don't want to get rid of her but we also can't afford to replace our floor either. She used the boxes just fine when she was already blind and just suddenly stopped. If anyone could help we would really appreciate it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I'm not a vet but I think there's something else going on, either an environmental change, even from outside, an ongoing hum you can't hear, an odor, or she has something going on inside her. Have you had her in to a vet to check her overall health?
Also, you could use puppy pee/training pads to help with cleanup, and try a litter change if you haven't already. Please don't give up on her, I'm glad you're here! There are also articles on this site that might help as well.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would try puppy pee pads or a litterbox with lower sides. Now that she's older, she might have trouble getting in and out of the box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tfallender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I would try puppy pee pads or a litterbox with lower sides. Now that she's older, she might have trouble getting in and out of the box.
We out a litter box with lower sides where she was going on the floor. She still would not go in it, and then the other two started using it and I don't want them to think it's an okay place to go. It just gave me a bigger mess to clean up.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try different litter? You might get several different kinds and try them. SOMETHING changed that is causing her to avoid the box, it may be she was scared by something several times. Definitely confine her to one area until she starts using the box. Get a good enzyme cleaner to clean up the messes and so she won't go there again. Puppy pads might just work, they would be totally different. When she starts sniffing or scratching around definitely place her in the box. Cats have a very good sense of smell, so she shouldn't be having this problem, unless she is totally stressed out, and time will help with that. all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tfallender

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we had her at the vet, the only thing he could find wrong was her sight. She was doing fine and it just seemed all of the sudden she decided not to use the boxes anymore. I will try the puppy pads.