Blending A Household And A Cranky Bengal Who Chases Everyone (help Please!)

Imgliniel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All!

I was very happy to find an active forum with some knowledgeable people to run this by!

I recently moved in with my boyfriend and need a little help from an outside eye in blending our households and pets. We have one cranky girl who is struggling. I will try and give you as much info as possible without writing a novel!

My critters:

Lancelot - fixed male, main coon mix, ex feral roughly 8 years old. Has at least one litter of kittens in the world from his time as a feral Tom. Pretty impeccable social skills having grown up in a cat colony. Vocal, loves everyone (even the dog).

Figaro - fixed male, domestic shorthair mutt, also roughly 8 years old. Shelter rescue. A little goobery and always just on the edge of overweight (I work on it, promise). Generally very accepting and friendly with everyone. Tolerates and happily coexists with everyone. Can be a tad overzealous in new meetings. (wants to run right up and be best buds! Except the dog, tolerates the dog and happily coexists with her but doesn't really "like" her)

Lucy - doberman mix, 10 years old. Stray off the street rescue as a puppy. Excellent bite inhibition, great with cats, knows the command "leave kitty" and generally won't bother them. Buds with Lancelot, tries to be buds with Figaro.

His critter:

Kaia - purebred f7 bengal. Female, fixed. Not sure on her age at this moment but mature (probably close to my boys) has lived with another cat (they had another hybrid) but had a tendency to pick on her. but she slept with the other cat (Kara, has since passed away of an auto immune disease). But her social skills don't seem to great. my BF says she doesn't know how to cat. A bit neurotic and anxious. definitely hates the dog. (note she is super picky and not food motivated and ignores treats).

The backround:

My two boys are pretty much best buds, sleep together, mutually groom, all the normal play (they can play a tad rough, they are both males. but its always very mutual with roles swapping and no hissing or growling and breaks and all of the above). We kept everyone in separate rooms and did scent swapping, slow intros, all that Jazz. I don't believe either of my cats has hissed at her once. They have always shown her pleasant and welcoming body language from everything I can tell. But her body language is odd. For example, she will run up to Lancelot, all happy and meowing and no hair up and go right to sniff noses. Then, with her nose basically still touching his, just start hissing in his face. She doesn't move, or go puffy, just... hiss. Luckily Lancelot is a good boy and basically just freezes, waits for her to finish, and then she walks off. and he looks around a bit like, "what just happened?"

The problem:

We waited until she didn't do the above hissing thing on meeting, and then slowly let them spend more time out together. And she has taken to chasing the boys, especially Figaro. with Lancelot he just runs off and has no issue coming right back around her later. although I don't see full on play chase with swapping roles. He hasn't chased her back that I have seen. Figaro, however, seems scared of her. Not hugely like he's cowering under a couch, but it definitely seems to shake him. When she does it, generally there is no puffy tail, and no hissing involved. But once in while there is. Usually when something startles/surprises her (such as figaro running up the stairs ahead of the BF, he ran into the upstairs landing, somewhat startling her, and she gave chase, with a hiss and a few swats and apparently a tuft of hair or two, but no physical wounds on figaro, and he was sleeping on the couch a few minutes later). Whats happening that worries me is Figaro is looking for her coming and slinking about or trying to run past the bedroom door. So I'm not sure if him being nervous and running is just triggering prey drive type chase, or she is bullying a bit, or she just doesn't signal play well from a body language perspective. If he wasn't showing the fear signs I wouldn't worry about this at all. I mention the dog partially to give you a complete picture, but partially because Kaia definitely thinks we moved a monster into the house. And I wonder if that stress may be contributing to her chasing the other cats.

The setup:

Cat tree and litterbox for my boys in my room. Cat tree and litterbox for Kaia in BF's room. Additional cat tree (huge thing too) downstairs. Eventually there will be another litterbox downstairs once we are fully unpacked. no one is out together when we are not home. All cats are indoor only.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This isn't nearly as bad as I was fearing it might be! What I would suggest as a starting point, and this might do the trick, is LOTS of play time with the Kaia and a wand-type toy. LOTS of it. Bengals have huge reserves of energy, and very honed prey drives, so she desperately needs an appropriate outlet for that. Play with her until one of the two of you is lying on the floor panting, preferably HER! IF you can harness and leash train her, she would probably deeply appreciate long walks outside, as well.

Next, same thing on a slightly less intense level for Figaro. In his case, it will help build his confidence as he successfully hunts, catches and kills his "prey." Do these play sessions with the two cats completely separately, so that neither interferes with the other.

Just that alone might well solve the issue for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imgliniel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BF actually did try leash training her when he got her. She was having none of it apparently. He says he feels cheated. :flail:

And no, it's really not that bad at all. It's just nuanced a bit, hence I was looking for some outside eyes/opinions.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This isn't nearly as bad as I was fearing it might be! What I would suggest as a starting point, and this might do the trick, is LOTS of play time with the Kaia and a wand-type toy. LOTS of it. Bengals have huge reserves of energy, and very honed prey drives, so she desperately needs an appropriate outlet for that. Play with her until one of the two of you is lying on the floor panting, preferably HER! IF you can harness and leash train her, she would probably deeply appreciate long walks outside, as well.

Next, same thing on a slightly less intense level for Figaro. In his case, it will help build his confidence as he successfully hunts, catches and kills his "prey." Do these play sessions with the two cats completely separately, so that neither interferes with the other.

Just that alone might well solve the issue for you.
:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

I think Kaia is a little bit overwhelmed by so many new family members :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imgliniel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I decided I would come back and update this. Because well, ALOT had happened.

AND we still don't have kitties that get along with each other.....

So we bought Kaya a new feathery want toy, which she chased for all of two seconds, decided she didn't like the hardwood floor, and at that point, would not play with it anymore. We STILL can't get her to play for any extended period of time. We had a few more chase incidents when someone would sneak out past the bedroom door and take off. She got angrier, escalating a bit to puffing tail and chasing and cornering both of mine if given the chance. The tendency of the humans to panic when this happens and yell/run after the cats probably did not help. But Lancelot has decided He does not like her, and now hisses at her if he can see her for to long or she gets to close. Figaro still runs. No one is allowed out together at all. No one starts an earnest fight intended to injure, but no one is friendly.

So I decided we needed to change the narrative, and we started doing super controlled "look you get a treat when she is around!" Positive reinforcement right? Josh would hold her, I would give mine treats. Problem is Kaia doesn't eat treats, I have no way to reward her for calm behavior. I have gone through probably 2 dozen brands and types, at one point emailing about 15 different companies asking for samples (PS Orijen if your cats like freeze dried sent me 8 WHOLE FULL SIZE FREE BAGS OF TREATS, I highly recommend contacting them. Sadly, she didn't like one of them).

This treat and feed together did help with my cats willingness to approach her.

In the middle of all this Lucy (the dog) was diagnosed with end stage Lymphoma and we lost her only two weeks later (before anyone worries I had her put down at the moment I could tell she was uncomfortable, when my normally food ***** dog decided she didn't feel like a spoonful of peanut butter).

And here we are, kinda stuck..... Obviously a bit emotionally drained and discouraged.

Yesterday for some unknown reason Kaia decided she was exceptionally unhappy and started screaming (yowling/loud meowing) and she did not.... stop...
all... night....

No one in the house slept. boyfriend has no idea what triggered it, being in the bedroom, out of the bedroom, she stops if you pick her up and pet her, even purs. Put her down she starts again. Doesn't appear in pain, body posture is normal. No panting and not hunched over or anything.

Today we have been discussing blocking off a room with a set of wall divider panels that runs floor to ceiling. Kinda like this:

hopefully that link works....

Essentially creating a large room indoor catio kind of setup where they will be able to see each other but unable to physically get to each other. Can't chase, have the option to retreat. But rather then just hearing and smelling the cat on the other side of the door they will see each other. Desensitize them to it. I realize it has become an "event" every time they see each other. I am thinking and hoping that watching the other one play, eat, sleep, etc, will just acclimate them to the other one until its boring, not an activity trigger.

Thoughts?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I feel you as I had almost the exact scenario but in reverse with less critters. By that I mean we had two adult cats, Trin (10 yr) and Gohan (8 yr) and introduced a third adult cat, Olive (3 yr) to the mix. Gohan would instantly chase her to her safe room the moment she poked her head up. Similar behavior to Kaya - no hisses, no puffed tail or warning just a mad dash. Also no real fights other than one or two accidental scratches. Gohan was also not treat or food motivated and we have a super hard time playing with him. He is the kind of cat that likes to sit and watch other cats play.

So similar issues: no treats he likes, no way to tire him out, and he was super territorial. He was wound so tight even distraction with a pet would actually cause a chase. This went on for 7 months. We introduced around November 2017 and around January or February we had the first time where Gohan saw her and didn't chase. This was because my BF, who he is super bonded to, kept talking to him and distracting him. After that, he would maybe not chase 10% of the time. Slowly, over time, we have worked up to almost no chases at all. They are not friendly, but they can coexist peacefully. Here is what helped:

• We tried separate play sessions followed by a supervised visit. Gohan doesn't play much, but we tried to have him get a few pounces in. He likes worm toys/ground prey and Da Bird. He will also watch Trin play. Olive is a play *****, and a treat *****. No issues there lol.
  • After play, we fed everyone Applaus Chicken and Asparagus pouches in a group (somehow everyone loved these). During this time, an eerie peace lay on the house and Gohan would calmly walk away after eating, no chase. Even early on. If you have any food at all that Kaya enjoys, group feeding is critical I think.
  • We finally found a treat he liked enough to be distracted by. It's Fancy Feast Chicken and it's the only one that works well for him. Applaus is great but it's too messy as a giant pouch. This one comes in little single-serve packets and can be taken out quickly.
Fancy Feast Purely Natural Hand-Selected Chicken Cat Treats, 1.06-oz pouch

When it comes down to it, intros are hard, adult intros are harder, and multiple pet intros complicate things. But it does happen, with enough time. And I understand how stressful this is on the humans! I shed many tears, and was hopeless when I watch Gohan chase. It was so disheartening, and it felt like my life was stress forever. I can't explain how relaxed and amazing it was when I finally was able to relax in one room with 3 cats and feel almost no tension. Over half a year I spent with this tension. This is what I recommend for you (and I know this is becoming a book. Sorry!)
  • Patience. Recognize this is a marathon, not a sprint. It will probably take months, but it can work.
  • Calm. I know how easy it is to freak out and try and break up a fight or chase, but from your description no on is getting hurt. Let them interact, and chase or fight. Let them try and work out their new world order. Have something to break up any real fights, or herd cats if it is too stressful (like a large cardboard, or towel/pillow) but casually walk up and do it. Try and breathe and relax, it helps everyone.
  • Give yourself a break. Literally. Find a critter-free escape so you can de-stress. Go on a date with your BF and don't discuss cats, go get a massage, or walk in a park. I was reading about cats and researching introductions all day, and then I was totally "catted out" by the time I came home I barely wanted to deal with it. You are doing great, and you deserve some breaks now and then!

Anyway, I jawed on long enough. The screen looks like a good idea, and I just say keep trying. And feel free to come on here to vent or ask questions or share how it's going. We truly understand how hard what you are doing is, but the rewards are great.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
perhaps try prozac or another prescription drug? some people on this board have had great luck with that kind of thing and highly aggressive cats. has your vet talked to you about some kind of medication?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for the loss of your Lucy. My condolences.

I feel your pain. I brought Timmer (a bengal mix I got at the shelter) into my home and he only saw my other cat, Lupita, as prey. I had never seen anything like it the way he tore into her. It didn't take long and I was in love with him, and with my resident cat. I couldn't give either one up.

Sure they are high energy and always on overdrive but it's not about the toys all the time. I think bengals want to dominate the house. He was the same way with the yowling and throwing a fit at night if I separated myself from him. Well, long story short, I built a door at the top of my second floor and Lupita lived upstairs and Timmer (bengal) lived downstairs. I switched them around twice a day and alternated who got to sleep with me. Some nights I got no sleep because of his screaming and throwing a fit. Some nights I slept on the couch with him. We lived like this for 8 years. I loved that cat like you would not believe but I still lost patience some nights and laid in bed crying I was so exhausted. Well...He passed away from IBD in January.

I would think with two humans in the house and other animals your bengal would be busy trying to keep track of things. :-) If the fighting between the animals in the house is not that bad maybe you can just manage separating them. If it's sleep you and your boyfriend want, well....I hate to tell you this but you're probably in for a long sleepless next few years. I hope I am wrong.

Contact the breeder you got her from, or a bengal breeder in your area and pick their brain. That's what I did when I would get frustrated. I did put him on prozac for awhile and it didn't work. I thought with time he would mellow but he never did. I loved him so much -- he was the love of my life, and I would give anything for one more night of his antics!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so, SO sorry that you lost your beloved dog. I know how badly that hurts, and I know that you did the right thing for her. Always.

That screen looks as if it might be your answer. Just make sure that it is very well anchored and can't be knocked over by an active Bengal. Having a screen collapse onto terrified cats with another terrified cat riding it down is a recipe for disaster! Just make sure that can't happen!