Bleeding Nipple in Male Cat (warning: photos)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news! I'm glad to hear they are working. I've never heard of that particular  flower essence blend. What brand is it from? Can you give me info. on it? I might have to check that out

for Angel. He has been nibbling at his tummy again for the past two weeks. It's not too bad, because every time I catch him doing it, I say "No,No", & redirect him, but still, there a few little scabs.

(& I can't be right there all the time...)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds promising, great that you have seen an improvement for Sebastian.  I've never tried the flower essence remedies but really inerested to see how this works out.  I'm certainbly a fan of the human Rescue Remedies and while you're never sure how these things work they do seem to be effective - and a lot less toxic than most of the conventional western medicines used on animals and humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's great news! I'm glad to hear they are working. I've never heard of that particular  flower essence blend. What brand is it from? Can you give me info. on it? I might have to check that out

for Angel. He has been nibbling at his tummy again for the past two weeks. It's not too bad, because every time I catch him doing it, I say "No,No", & redirect him, but still, there a few little scabs.

(& I can't be right there all the time...)
I did link to it above, but in case you can't click on it, here's the URL:

http://store.jacksongalaxy.com/Obsession-Remedy-p/obsession-remedy.htm

I'm sorry to hear Angel has been nibbling again.

I don't put the flower essences in Sebastian's food or water. I use it on his fur and bedding where he sleeps. Although the flower essences are very safe, I just didn't want to put another thing down his throat that may possibly cause an IBD flare!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.  Thankfully, in the past few days he has left his belly alone, (or I'm just catching him more, & stopping him). It looks much better now!!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.  Thankfully, in the past few days he has left his belly alone, (or I'm just catching him more, & stopping him). It looks much better now!!
Good to hear! Occasionally I'll catch Sebastian pulling at his fur, but it's only once instead of over and over and over again. I've been checking his nipple, and he's been leaving it alone. There's definitely a marked improvement.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An update....

This is still an issue from time-to-time, although not as severe or frequent as it was. Now the nipple just gets kind of red if he's bothering it. I'm continuing with the Spirit Essences and Feliway and other stress reducers. My vet thinks it might be related to internal pain, so I'm trying to pay attention to see if he does this at the same time when he is not feeling well (he has chronic pancreatitis and IBD). Coincidentally, he was a little "off" this week and he made his nipple red (see pic below from this week). Hmm...
Not that I want to put this cat through any more trauma, but does anyone have any experience with having nipples surgically removed? I'm not saying that I want to get this done, but I'm just typing as I'm thinking. I don't know if its an easy thing (like removing a mole or wart) or what.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is interesting.  Funny how he only chews at the nipple, & no where else. I think if it were stress related, he would be chewing other areas near by too.

I think the vet & I have concluded that Angel does his chewing his belly out of stress. I am starting to keep a log of when he does it, & what is/ has been going on at the time.

He did it toward the end of Thanksgiving week, & I had a friend stay w/ me for two nights, (even though he knew her) & another friend was in town, so was over a couple of times.

(but neither at the same time).  Angel is just so used to it only being the two of us, & it being pretty low key, I think he is just stress sensitive, taking the past cystitis in consideration.

Thank goodness Christmas day will be a year ago that he had his LAST episode of it. (Knock on wood!!!!)  The Rx food works!!

This is what it looked like that week. I took a picture to send to his vet.   Also, she asked if I was still giving him a half of an allergy pill every day, & she said I could try another one because he could also

have gotten immune to it. (sense he's been on them for a long time for his itchiness & chewing, also on his back).  I had some Zyrtech, so I alternated w/ that. It seems to have helped.

both were vet recommended. (the other is a generic Clairton).

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeh, I know. It's very weird. I may ask the vet what may be involved with having it removed...just for my information. Who knows when there may be a time when it gets infected and we have to go this route. 

Aw...poor Angel. Sounds like he gets stressed when his routine is interrupted! Glad to hear the special diet really helped. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm interesting thought removing the nipple.  If in fact he is chewing on it/irritating it because something internal is bothering him, he may chose another nipple or chew at the area the nipple was at even if it is removed.    DeeJay has psychogenic alopecia, I have noticed her more intensely chewing on her belly since she's been dealing with her whatever is going on with her :)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, but I think a flat surface would be less tempting! 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hmmm interesting thought removing the nipple.  If in fact he is chewing on it/irritating it because something internal is bothering him, he may chose another nipple or chew at the area the nipple was at even if it is removed.    DeeJay has psychogenic alopecia, I have noticed her more intensely chewing on her belly since she's been dealing with her whatever is going on with her :)
I was thinking the same thing. I guess you never know...

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes chewing belly fur can be an indication of bladder problems. Not saying he does have a bladder problem, but it's worth considering.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sometimes chewing belly fur can be an indication of bladder problems. Not saying he does have a bladder problem, but it's worth considering.
Not necessarily.  Angel will have been free of cystitis one year on Christmas day. (well, a little after. That was our last visit to the hospital for it).

He still occasionally will chew on his belly. He even did it long before. I think for Angel, it's stress related.

A stray cat came up on our porch a few days ago, & he was groaning away, & hissed a couple of times. Now, he has a small spot he has nibbled on.

Last edited: