Bleeding from the butt

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissMyra

Kody's Mom: I agree about the human butt bleeding - not an emergency room issue, unless it's really flowing out of there heavily! If it's not something "normal" you'd still have to make an appointment with a GP who would not tell you to go to an ER, in my opinion. Even if it's colon cancer, one more day isn't going to make much of an impact on the outcome. However if I had the kind of job where I could take her immediately to a vet that could see her right away I would do it. And another thing: if I hadn't recently added a new food to her diet, I'd be much more worried. She eats this new food ravenously, it's like kitty crack, so I was going to stop when I ran out of it anyway. She does have a very sensitive stomach. Not sure if that's related to the diabetes.
Thanks for alleviating some of the guilt!

Myra
I think you have the appropriate level of concern.

We are conditioned to think of the appearance of blood as being something serious. But, as has been related many times by many people in these forums a little bright colored blood at the anus in the absence of other clinical symptoms is *likely* not something serious or an emergency. If it persists it certainly warrants a trip to the vet however and of course there is no reason to not get a vets opinion whenever there is any uncertainty about the seriousness of a symptom.

Coco frequently had blood in her stool and smeared on her anus when she had loose stools. The blood indicated irritation of the lower intestines as a result of the chronic loose stools. It wasn't serious but it wasn't normal either.

When in doubt you can always call your vet's office, or the emergency vet if after hours, and ask if the symptom is serious enough to warrant a visit.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I think you have the appropriate level of concern.

We are conditioned to think of the appearance of blood as being something serious. But, as has been related many times by many people in these forums a little bright colored blood at the anus in the absence of other clinical symptoms is *likely* not something serious or an emergency. If it persists it certainly warrants a trip to the vet however and of course there is no reason to not get a vets opinion whenever there is any uncertainty about the seriousness of a symptom.

Coco frequently had blood in her stool and smeared on her anus when she had loose stools. The blood indicated irritation of the lower intestines as a result of the chronic loose stools. It wasn't serious but it wasn't normal either.

When in doubt you can always call your vet's office, or the emergency vet if after hours, and ask if the symptom is serious enough to warrant a visit.
Very good advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmyra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
My kitty has not had any more bleeding and even had a normal bowel movement this morning (which I put in the refrigerator, double-baggied, to bring to the vet). She is energetic, eating well, and acting normal (except maybe more hungry than usual, not sure what that means). The food I had given her, which was meant to just break up the monotony of her regular food which she seemed to be getting bored with, was that new Purrfectly Fish by Whiskas. The label seemed to show that it would be ok for a diabetic cat, and actually she did love it (maybe too much). I was giving it to her only in between giving the normal food which is Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys Shredded Fare - the nutrition of the FF is actually better for a diabetic cat than the stuff the vets prescribe, and I only know this because she started a hunger strike on the vet food a while back and I had to find an alternative quickly, so I did the research and found the elegant medleys. Anyhoo - I am very optimistic that it is nothing serious. I'll let you all know what the vet says. As I mentioned earlier, the girl who answered the phone at the vet, probably a tech, said it sounded like a ruptured anal gland which is not serious.
Best regards and many thanks,
Myra

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmyra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,
Well, the vet and the vet tech both felt strongly that it must be a urinary tract infection, after doing a THOROUGH (read: kitty not too happy!) examination of the anal area. Because they could not get sufficient urine from her, we decided to go ahead and start her on Clavamox just to be on the safe side. For some reason, I still feel it is an intestinal or bowel hemorrage, not sure why. They are the professionals after all.
I did have them take blood and run further tests to rule out anything more serious, and the stool sample I brought in was completely normal.
She is behaving normally except for being hungrier than usual. Not sure what that is all about... anyway, I am not going to play around with her food anymore. Let her get bored. As long as she doesn't go on another all-out hunger strike, I'm sticking to my guns. (She boycotted the vet-prescribed food a while back and I had to find an alternative.)
Thanks to everyone for caring and giving advice, experiences, and support!!!!
Myra

maximusmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she have diarrhea or is constipated at all?

One of my kittens had diarrhea a while back, and had tinges of blood (light coloured) on his butt, the floor and in his watery poo. It went away when the diarrhea when away. (Kinda like me with I have IBS issues
)

Can cats get anal fissures

As per usual, if concerned, give your vet a call and describe to them what is happening and see if you can get their opinion over the phone as to whether she needs to be seen now.
Does she have diarrhea or is constipated at all?

One of my kittens had diarrhea a while back, and had tinges of blood (light coloured) on his butt, the floor and in his watery poo. It went away when the diarrhea when away. (Kinda like me with I have IBS issues
)

Can cats get anal fissures

As per usual, if concerned, give your vet a call and describe to them what is happening and see if you can get their opinion over the phone as to whether she needs to be seen now.
How did you treat the diarrhea? My cat seems to be having similar issues!