Bladder surgery recovery

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykaren

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU ALL!!!!

My Misty is feeling MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better. Ever since getting her the medication on Monday, she has improved A LOT. She sleeps better and when she does get up, she only uses the litter box one time. And when she does use the litter box, I don't see that horrible look on her face from straining. She goes in, pees and is right back out and goes about her business. Then she doesn't return to the litter box for another few hours.

I can't thank all of you enough for your advice. I can see that Misty is happy again and is starting to be her old playful, silly self. I thank you and Misty thanks you.

rita

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news
I'm so glad she is feeling so much better

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad your kitty is feeling better! I understand your vets reluctance using metacam as it has not been available for very long in the US and is not approved for use in cats. In Canada it is used all the time "off-label" for cats and it works very well. We always use it with caution in older cats, dehydrated animals, and any animal with decreased kidney function to avoid the problems you mentioned. I have never seen any adverse reactions to it.
When you give her the metacam- give it with a meal. Metacam (like any NSAID) can be hard on the stomach.

I'm glad she is resting. It is very common for an animal to sleep a lot after a situation like this. She probably has been in too much discomfort to rest well.

judy1742

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 year old male orange tabby had a cystotomy on 3/21. He has had a rough recovery - he is refusing to eat or drink. I have bee syringe feeding him iams prescription food for 2 days and he gets sub q fluids every day. He is on baytril, amoxicillin and Cypro for his appetite. The vet gave him Valium and he ate a good serving of food - but not since. Any ideas?

leopatjen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I,too, am new to this site, and have been reading other's posts on this subject.
Our male, 6 3/4 years old, had bladder surgery 1/2/17. He was discharged 1/4. He was prescribed a day of anti inflammatory medication, a pain medication twice a day, but that they felt he would not need for more than a day or two, and an antibiotic, twice a day, for two weeks. Once home, we could not get him to eat at all..and he drank very little. We tried every imaginable food/treat, etc. Nothing worked. We were advised that the antibiotic, Clavamox, frequently causes nausea, but to continue it. We cut back on the pain medication, 4 days post op. His incision looks to be healing well, he seeks affection, rolls on his back, hops up on the bed, with no obvious discomfort, walks about with his tail elevated, purrs, grooms, and does not feel like he has a fever (usually I can tell by the feel of his ears). I only gave him the antibiotic once yesterday, and this morning he actually ate a small amount of food. I am wondering if I must continue that medication. (Our vet is on vacation now, and a vet from another practice is going to fill in starting tomorrow. I am thinking of requesting a different antibiotic, or stopping it all together. Yes, he still seems to have discomfort in urinating, and the amount of urine is small. Washing his genital area immediately after exiting the litter box...sometimes going right back into the box. This behavior is an improvement over his pre operation state. I too, am wondering how long he will have this difficulty.