bladder infections

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think you could play dumb if you tried.

Inka does like wet food, yes. Her brother ends up eating more of it, but she does eat a good portion of it.

I am not willing to go homemade.

I have not seen any Serengeti around here.

Her 2nd of the 3 vet visits, Inka peed on the floor, and we were able to get a urinalysis from that. According to that vet, she could not find any crystals.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good girl Inky for giving a urine sample .... No crystals actually makes it a bit easier... Now what MEATS and GRAINS have been used in the last sixth months or since UTI issues arouse>>?

Increase wet food ... see other thread...

On a closer look Serengetti is not Uti friendly ,,,

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Now what MEATS and GRAINS have been used in the last sixth months or since UTI issues arouse>>?
Well, for dry food, they've been on 2 brands in the last 6 months.

Nutrience Junior Kitten... it's basically a chicken formula with brewers' rice and ground corn.

Felidae Cat + Kitten... Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal

We stopped feeding the Felidae almost 2 weeks ago though and went back to their Nutrience formula, in the hopes of limiting the number of meat sources.

Wet food is much more varied. We've alternated with a bunch of different brands.... Felidae, Eagle Pack Holistic, Merrick's, Wellness, and Nature's Variety Prairie. She was getting more fish in her diet before, but in the past few weeks I've limited her wet food to chicken and turkey flavors. The only real grains I remember seeing on the cans was rice.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the recall this may be hard but I would suggest AVOIDING chicken and rice... you may have a not so common allergy going on

what is her PH ???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can get that it can be a KEY in finding out what if any food may be an issue

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If you can get that it can be a KEY in finding out what if any food may be an issue
Shouldn't a vet know this?

We've been to 3 different vets (availability problems), and not one of them has thought to find this out. When I go to the doctor, I expect him to tell me what's wrong, not the other way around.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

Shouldn't a vet know this?

We've been to 3 different vets (availability problems), and not one of them has thought to find this out. When I go to the doctor, I expect him to tell me what's wrong, not the other way around.
Yes, it's one of the most important pieces of info when it comes to bladder/urinary issues. It's part of the info gathered from the urinalysis.

That's discouraging that you've seen 3 vets and all they do is give you more antibiotics. Perhaps they're not aggressive with testing because of her age, but at a year old...that's plenty old "enough" to do the normal tests IMO.

After 4 weeks on Baytril - which should knock a UTI out ... I would ask for a urinalysis AND a culture & sensitivity test. The C&S test will determine the exact bacteria present (if any) and consequently the correct antibiotic for that particular bacteria.