Black with stripes?

skitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We are starting to really make out more black stripes on my black kitten. I wonder if she will grow out of these or of she will actually grow up to black with stripes?? Has anyone ever seen this before? She is approx six weeks old now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a note she has a brownish under tone to her also. So maybe she is brownish black and those black stripes will stay?? Here is a pic that shows the brownish undertone.

skitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more that I just now took:

I have never seen a dark cat with even darker stripes.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My little brown foster kitten has stripes that are visible in certain light conditions.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lf you part her fur is it white underneath? She may be a black smoke, but it's hard to tell.

The guy in my avatar looks black, but he's a black smoke, and this is how he looked when he was young:

View media item 175633

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most black kittens have "ghost tabby" markings, and most grow out of them to become solid black, although sometime you can still catch a glimpse of a stripe or two :D. Like a leopard who's black but you can see his spots faintly.

skitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous cat!!

lf you part her fur is it white underneath? She may be a black smoke, but it's hard to tell.
The guy in my avatar looks black, but he's a black smoke, and this is how he looked when he was young:

View media item 175633

Last edited by a moderator:

skitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess only time will tell. She's six weeks old and still kinda fuzzy and I think I see some white undertones. So we shall see what Miss Pixie turns into! :) thanks for the great replies. I love this site!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yeah, it does look like she may be a black smoke  showing the underlying mackerel tabby pattern..   which smokes tend to show even without the extra gene that makes a tabby pattern more distinct.