black ugly muddy ear cat stuff??

nouran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody;

My kitten has ugly scary looking black muddy things in her ears. I dont know how to fix that?

When I first got her she had many of that black thing in her ears and i cleaned it for her with a soft wet cloth and it was reduced greatly and she stopped itching her ears

Now its coming again and she keeps itching and black chunks come out, they look ugly and scary

One more thing is that i saw a tiny little black insect on the bed after she kept itching her ears..dunno what that is, she got vaccinated for insects n stuff though like 2 days ago

is it natural for cats to produce black stuff in their ears?? How to fix it? ear drops maybe?

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she has ear mites. They itch intensely and look like what you explained. The vet will have meds (ear drops) for it. Dont get over the counter stuf at big name or pet stores. They dont work. Been there too. Kitty will feel great after a few days of treatment but treat for full 10 days or what vet tells you.  :)

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I've treated ear mites with plain mineral oil, and daily ear cleaning.

Always see the vet first though as there is a right way and a wrong way to do it, plus they can check for secondary bacterial or fungal infections.

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
normally ear mites are so small that you can only see them with a microscope, so what you saw was probably something else.

i was worried that my former feral had mites, she has the same "goop" in her ears as your cat does - though it sounds like it is not as bad as your situation. when we were at the vet a couple of months back the vet reassured me that what it is in my case is allergies that are causing it.

definitely have your kitten checked by your vet since there are a lot of possible causes; polyps, drug reactions, a hereditary condition, tumors, or immune system issues are some of the possibilities.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I adopted a cat this summer who had ears FULL of dark brown gunk. They couldn't find ear mites but she may have had mites in the past.  Mites can lead to an ear infection.  The vet tested the gunk to make sure she was treating the right type of infection (they have to determine if it is a yeast or fungal infection, I think.)  She then prescribed a med and I followed their instructions exactly.  She needed ear cleaning and ear drops twice a day for 2 weeks.  Her ears have stayed healthy since.  Since there can be multiple factors (infection, mites) I'd have a vet take a look.  Good luck. 

ln6271

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's definitely worth it to have a vet take a look. Some cats are prone to producing more wax in their ears than other cats and the wax can be a dark brown color and it will make their ears itch at a certain point. A really bad case of ear mites may look similar. Either way, it could be a source of inflammation and chronic inflammation over a long period of time is not good.