Black Stuff In Cats Ears

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has always had a lot of ear wax but she is super skittish so it’s hard to clean them as much as I like. This morning we got her and she a lot of black stuff in her ears. I don’t believe it’s ear mites as I had she ha had this issues for years but if she did have an infection as say to a food where they be other signs? She doesn’t itch, doesn’t tilt her head, etc. she pretty sleeps behind our couch all day. I feel awful as I it took me a while to clean her ears. Also I saw a tinge of blood maybe because I cleaned too hard?
I am taking her to the vet just any thoughts on this? Could it just be excessive ear wax?
Ty

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I don't know anything about ears or this kind of thing, but I wanted to send good wishes for the vet visit!
Let us know what they say:vibes::crossfingers:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you describe what the stuff in her ears was like, other than black? Was it like coffee grounds, or what was the consistency like?

Food sensitivities normally cause itching, but then again, I would think all that build-up in her ears would cause her to have been scratching at her ears, or shaking her head or something. However, sleeping hidden away behind the couch ll day doesn't sound good, so I think a visit to the Vet is a good idea. Then maybe they can determine exactly WHAT it is the is causing the issue in her ears. Some cats have issues with a yeast build-up in their ears, which can be helped by feeding low carb foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has always slept behind the couch since when she was little. It’s not a sick thing
It was black, not coffee ground like mites her ears have always gotten dirty

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have issues with a yeast build-up in their ears, which can be helped by feeding low carb foods.
:yeah:

One of our cats gets black gunk in his ears from yeast infections, but doesn't always have symptoms such as itching or head shaking. In his case, it's partly due to food allergies. (He was already on a low-carb diet for urinary tract problems, so that helped to narrow things down a bit.)

A visit to the vet should help to get your kitty all squared away. Hope she's all better soon, and please let us know how things go! :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She had an ear infection.

Thank you!