Black stools and Feline Hyperesthesia

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cleopatra and I have gone down a LONG road, and currently I am (once again!) at a loss. In late 2015, I noticed she was havig severe bloody and mucusy diarrhea. We went to our vet, and we took blood tests. Calcium was high, and she had lost about 1/2 a pound. She was squirming though, and was putting up a fight. Because of this, it was determined that she most likely had cancer. I was devastated, and looked everywhere for a DIFFERENT prognosis. IBD came up, and I decided to treat it like she had that. I had no money for extensive cancer treatments or diagnosis', and I knew it would NEVER be a good quality of life for her again. I switched her over to Wellness Core, and we were prescribed prednisolone. There was really no change in her symptoms. So we switched her over to semi-cooked pork, liver, and Alnutrin.

A significant GOOD difference was observed. NO fresh blood in her stools after about a week or so. A while went by, and then she got into some dog food and had a flare up. She was doing well besides that, so I brought her back in for a new blood test. Everything was normal, but her blood count was in the low range of normal. And she had gained nearly a pound. The past month, I started to notice her poop was mucousy and hard, and within the past week, her stools turned BLACK on the outside. Perhaps paired with this, was the sudden symptoms of her back 'rippling', and her biting fiercely at it. I at first thought it was fleas.

Yesterday I took her in. A physical was done, and her stools were sent off for analysis. Everything was fine, no temperature that was off, she appeared healthy physically, and she had gained another half a pound since August. Fleas WERE noticed, though. So we were given Revolution, Cestex for worming, and medication for possible ulcers. I have to give them an update on Monday. I explained what was happening to her when her spine ripples, and they concluded it was POSSIBLE flea allergies. Although this has never happened to her before.

On the way home, she peed in her kennel (she was very stressed and her bladder was very full). I brought her back into the house, and she was VERY angry at me. Moreso than she had ever been before. And I have noticed that she does NOT want me to pick her up anymore and I can't help but believe that this correlated with her "spine rippling" and itching symptoms. She had them ALL yesterday, and I frantically gave her Revolution and put her up in my room to calm down. During the night, she had NO symptoms of this, and seemed much better this morning.

However, several hours after I let her downstairs, she started displaying these symptoms again. And I knew it cannot possibly be the fleas that are doing this. She had these symptoms ONCE last week, and then displayed them the day before yesterday. And then had them HORRIBLY yesterday, and had ONE bout today. I think this correlate with significant stress, which would explain why, after the traumatic vet experience, she had them bad yesterday, ad why, after letting her downstairs where we have noisy dogs, she had it again.

So I looked up these symptoms, and I found something called Feline Hyperesthesia. And I think this could be what she has, but the thing that worries me is that, paired with the black stools, it is something significantly more than this. I am just extremely worried right now, and I just need some opinions on this.

Although I think this correlates with stress, I believe this all started AFTER she got into some dog food AGAIN. And I mean a piece or two, but with her digestive issues, that is enough to cause a flare up. Also, she is prone to have tapeworms, even when we flea treat her every month. So it is possible (the vet said) that the tapeworms are also conributing to these black stools.

Sorry for the long post, but I have so much on my mind! Also, I wanted to add that I do not believe we are dealing with cancer, necessarily. Because I would think she would NEVER be gaining weight not being treated AT ALL for it, other than a change in diet. What do you all think?

And I know black stools are NOT a good sign and can be a symptom of something very bad, so I will be sure to update the vet, and if the stools do not get better by her next bowel movement, to bring her back in for blood tests and the such. Epecially with this potential feline hyperesthesia.

Also, I have wanted to add something for quite some time that is of interest to me. People may laugh at this, but this past summer I was sent to the E.R due to potential Appendicitus with severe stomach pain, and horrible bowel movements. Since then, I have not been the same either, and have been tested for cancer and other diseases, even when I am at such a young age. I know this is stupid, but it is interesting to me. Is there ANY possibility our issues could be related and a bacteria or something could be affecting us both since we are so close to each other, and she shares my room and always sleeps on my bed? Just a thought.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to ask a quick question that I COMPLETELY forgot to mention. I have since transitioned her to  RAW beef, and there has been a very large amount of blood that she eats. Is there anyway that, perhaps, THIS is what is causing the dark stools when she is acting otherwise normal, and not losing, and instead gaining weight? I would be hopeful for this, however, with this possible hyperesthesia I am not so sure...

And the black on her stools is actually an extremely hard, very dark coating on an otherwise healthy, brown stool for a raw diet.

Last edited:

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add that after three doses of her medication for the ulcers, her stools look MUCH better, but still give off a faint odor, and are REALLY hard on the outside, but the vet says she doesn't "feel" constipated. So I am seeing some progress, but the introduction of this new thing she is displaying is concerning to me.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious. What are "black stools" symptomatic of?

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, black stools can mean there is internal bleeding in the upper intestine, or internal bleeding somewhere higher that is then digested, which makes the stools turn black.