Black Stool

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet prescribed Methycobalamin B12 but after roaring start, he became poorly and there were black pieces in his unusually light soft stool. I'd expressed my concern at his soft light stools but was ignored, I assumed it was the renal food. I was then recommended to up a B Complex tonic he'd also been taking to 2.5 mil (almost a syringe full) daily. This morning he was in obvious distress so I gave him some Miralax, and he ran outside and defecated several well formed but jet black stools on the terrace, not tarry btw. He then slept it off for a few hours. I gave him some kitten food and he ate it. However, after reporting to vet, he's talking about a 'gastrointestinal issue' and ultrasound. I said it cannot be a coincidence that this has happened on the only two occasions he's been given large quantities of iron. The now withdrawn Methy was the same amount I take daily and I'm much bigger than him. Thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iron causes black stool, and so can some foods. If his stool was like that after the meds, that is most likely the cause. Iron causes constipation too. Let's hope he gets better now. Too much iron can cause problems too, so I hope they are monitoring him. you might ask about continuing the Miralax for a while, I gave 1/4 tsp. mixed in a beaten egg yolk, or a tiny amount of a lickable treat. As long as he is eating/drinking/pooping, he should be alright.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Iron causes black stool, and so can some foods. If his stool was like that after the meds, that is most likely the cause. Iron causes constipation too. Let's hope he gets better now. Too much iron can cause problems too, so I hope they are monitoring him. you might ask about continuing the Miralax for a while, I gave 1/4 tsp. mixed in a beaten egg yolk, or a tiny amount of a lickable treat. As long as he is eating/drinking/pooping, he should be alright.
[/QUOTE
Bit of a 'by the book' vet (Thai Learn By Rote) today over the amount of iron he was getting. Vet insisted it continue, along with the renal food. Oh no it won't. Know about the black poop (spinach, Guinness), he wanted to do a GI test, how can it possibly be his GT when it's only happened TWICE, both after overdoses of methy and Vit B Complex (2.5 cc). He won't have it that that's for a 10kg animal 0o Anyhoo, he's come around to my way of thinking 'I think we can talk about his food next visit', yes, we jolly well can. So desperately searching for low phos non renal wet cat food. He drinks a lot so that's good. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamsynstead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that! :) They can be a bit bullying, like doctors ..