Black spot developed above kitten's nose.

kayrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 month old kitten has a darkening black smudge on the bridge of his nose! No matter how I clean it, it won't go away. It doesn't bother him at all, but it's starting to concern me. Is it dirt that has just crusted or something else? His nose itself is totally normal color, it's just the spot right above it. Anyone else experience this with their cats?

Attachments

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4 month old kitten has a darkening black smudge on the bridge of his nose! No matter how I clean it, it won't go away. It doesn't bother him at all, but it's starting to concern me. Is it dirt that has just crusted or something else? His nose itself is totally normal color, it's just the spot right above it. Anyone else experience this with their cats?
Is it squishy, or oozing anything out of it? Your kitty is so pretty and he seems to be okay with it ,, I was just wondering the two things I asked..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it spreading so that it is covering more area than when you first noticed it? Some of the pics make it look like it has expanded in its coverage.

If it won't clean off, it would probably be best to at least send a pic to your vet and see what they think. They may want to take a swab of it to analyze, or maybe they will recognize what it could be by just the pic alone. It could be bacterial or fungal in nature, or it just could be something he has gotten into that has stained the skin/hair in that area.

If the vet just says to monitor it, take pics daily so you can see if it is spreading.

You could also try cleaning that area with chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with cotton balls or a soft cloth, 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties and is a soothing and healing agent, as well. It is safe for your kitten to ingest if that should happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it spreading so that it is covering more area than when you first noticed it? Some of the pics make it look like it has expanded in its coverage.

If it won't clean off, it would probably be best to at least send a pic to your vet and see what they think. They may want to take a swab of it to analyze, or maybe they will recognize what it could be by just the pic alone. It could be bacterial or fungal in nature, or it just could be something he has gotten into that has stained the skin/hair in that area.

If the vet just says to monitor it, take pics daily so you can see if it is spreading.

You could also try cleaning that area with chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some to that area with cotton balls or a soft cloth, 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties and is a soothing and healing agent, as well. It is safe for your kitten to ingest if that should happen.
Thank you so much for this suggestion!! I tried it, and with a little bit of scrubbing, it actually flaked right off!! 😀 The whole thing ended up washing clean, and coming right off his nose! On closer expectation, it looks like it was just really dried up food residue. I guess my little guy needs to clean his face just a bit more after eating! Thank you again!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it squishy, or oozing anything out of it? Your kitty is so pretty and he seems to be okay with it ,, I was just wondering the two things I asked..
expand...
Thank you, we think he's a cutie as well!
So today, I actually went after the spot with a little bit of scrubbing, and it ended up flaking right off!! 😀 The whole thing ended up washing clean, and coming right off his nose! On closer expectation, it looks like it was just really dried up food residue. I guess my little guy needs to clean his face just a bit more after eating!!

Attachments

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, we think he's a cutie as well!
So today, I actually went after the spot with a little bit of scrubbing, and it ended up flaking right off!! 😀 The whole thing ended up washing clean, and coming right off his nose! On closer expectation, it looks like it was just really dried up food residue. I guess my little guy needs to clean his face just a bit more after eating!!
Awwww what a babydoll 😻😻😻. I am glad it came off 😁