Black scabby things on side of nose

rkeys337

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Salmon (6 month) is active, playful, and no obvious health issues. In comparison to his brother, he is on the skinner side, but the vet says he is just fine.

We started noticing black gunk buildup on the side of his nose, we're able to pick it off, and the vet keeps telling us it is just cat boogers. I don't buy it. His brother is clearly not getting anything like it, and we have to pick it off daily. We have changed the litter to a walnut based litter think it might be the dust, but he is still getting it. Sometimes when he sleeps you can hear him breathing like he's got a stuffy nose. We're getting a second opinion this weekend but just wondering if anyone knows what it is

On a separate note, because he is on the skinner side, we would like to "bulk him up" a bit. He doesn't seem to care for any type of wet canned, we've tried to supplement his dry kibbles with cooked chicken breast, but he still doesn't care for it. Picky little guy! Any advice?

Thanks!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat has the same stuff coming out of her nose and where she once had an eye but doesn't now and while harmless my vet said we could apply a little erythromycin eye ointment once a day for a week, and then weekly and it's helped.

For food,Meier keep trying different flavored or try some plain boiled chicken, if he likes that you might be able to transition him to something similar but commercially prepared.