Black Psycho Cat Hogging Food

phaelin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My black cat will always push the other two (Brothers) I have from the food whenever they want to eat. He didn't do that from the start, only for the last year or so. I now have to guard the other two while they eat at meal time. What could be the cause of this?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We also have a black cat (Yoshi) who wants all the food. Mostly he'll stare at Sqeeker and jump in as soon as Sqeeker moves a step away. Sometimes Yoshi can be distracted with play or being told to "eat your own" other times we pick him up and take him into the other room. On rare occasions we have to put him into his crate until Sqeeker is done. If Sqeeker doesn't finish but leaves we put a pot lid over it and Sqeeker tells us when he wants it uncovered. We also have dry food out and Yoshi will sometimes hold Sqeeker by the scruff and move his hips while Sqeeker is eating crunchys. Sqeeker just ignores Yoshi and continues eating. Both are neutered males. Sqeeker generally craves Yoshis attention so we don't interfere since Sqeeker isn't bothered.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's just very dominant. And yes, sometimes they do grow into that. A perfectly mellow young fellow gets all huffy and puffy, and we're thinking, "HUH? Where did THIS come from?" And about the only thing you can do is separate them at mealtimes. Is there a room where you can put Psycho Kitty (oh, come on, I can't just call him that...what's his name?) to eat so that Brother 1 and Brother 2 (names?) can eat in peace?

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Similar thing happens with my two; Toffee is very dominant over his brother Fudge (we think he was the "runt" of his litter, and has made up for this in personality!), so we have to keep watch on them at meal times when we can. We just take their bowl away so that the two can get equal amounts of food to eat, and whenever Toffee tries to eat from Fudge's part of the bowl; we gently push him away and firmly tell him "no" and that stops him.