Black Gums on a senior kitty~~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sasha was at the vet today and is home resting very comfortably.
Saba keeps poking her little head in his face as if to ask "hey! are you still circling the airport or what?!"
Sasha does not have cancer but he has some advanced gingivitis on his upper gums --a result of the mauling his molars have shifted a bit as his jaw healed and re-set in the past year - and this has caused food to get caught in places that were once easier to flush out by normal water drinking, etc. The black gums are a part of aging and he's doing fine.....a very robust 13, although he had 2 teeth pulled.
He's doing great. He will be able to eat as normal. He's on a very low dose of clavamox to prevent any infection and he's sleeping under his sunlamp.
Our wonderful Dr. B has moved back to Nova Scotia so he's with a different doctor now, but seemed to be ok with her. He adored Dr. B

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sandra

Awesomest news E
!! Give mister Sasha some light scritches from me and the girls please
... Thanks for the update also.
thank you Sandra! He's totally oblivious to the world right now.
Indeed, I am very relieved.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell Sasha we said "hello" and are glad his apt. went well (and sympathies on the teeth removal).

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to hear your baby is doing okay!!
My Emma has black splotchies on the roof of her mouth also--and the same black lip spots as Rosie.

kittykoal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  My cat is an orange and white male manx AND he is about 12 years old with a black lip margin. It is not spotty but a continuous strip. He seems just fine! He gradually developed these black "lips" but has always been in very good health! He sometimes has bad breath. I feed him those treats from the grocery store that help both as a snack and for dental health. But I believe the black "lips" are something that develops as some cats age.......maybe just a select number and maybe only certain colors. I don't have any exact information on it. I haven't had my cat to a vet yet (Just once when he was fixed at a very young age) This cat spent most of his life in the rafters of an out building due to being very, very terrified of everything. I rescued him from a shopping center where he had been living in a storm drain. At the time, he was maybe one year old. He has never become tame. He is in the house now, and follows me around, will sit at my feet. Loves to be petted but wants his feet on the floor. He has never, ever been anything close to vicious, nor does he scratch or bite. His name is Mugsy And I am so glad I was able to save him from the very frightening shopping center where many people were being unkind. I have no idea how long he was there. I think he survived because the good people at Wild Birds Unlimited keep water out for their small bird feeding area!! So, I just wanted you to know that I am hopeful that the black lips are of no concern! I could take Mugsy to the vet. He would be so very, very terrified, though and our vet charges A Lot! However, I would never hesitate to take him if he showed any signs of sickness, such as a fever. This little guys seems very healthy, thank heavens! So nice to see that some other kitty owners notice the same thing as I have in my Mugsy. Now, I think it is not to worry about. I do thiink I have seen these black gums in dogs. Just thought of that.   Hoping your kitty is fine.....Sincerely, Diane Boyer