Black, flaky chin

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Is there something else that can bring on cat acne?
my vet said it could be a food allergy, abi's first blew up when i tried a raw diet sampler and the beef made her swell up, cats aren't naturally beef eaters or ocean fish. so I stick with chicken and she is slowly getting better. and i ditched the mat under her dish and found some pyrex saucers.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jane_vernon

Is there something else that can bring on cat acne?

Because my Portia has it, and we don't use any plastic bowls or ceramic ones!

And it is only her and not Diesel as well
Pixel's the only one in my house that gets it at all. i read somewhere it's more common in cats with light-colored chins. however, Java's chin is light & she's never shown any signs of it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to toss this in. Ophelia is white, eats from stainless teel bowls on lioleum, & has acne. The vet said it is possible that her ID tag(plastic) was getting into the food & rubbing on her chin. Of course, I didn't think of that!

inkl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can it also be caused by stress? Zoe had it the whole time she was living in the animal centre, I would clean it totally off and it would be back in full force the next day. When she was living with my family and our pets, it completely disappeared, but in my new place, where she's alone while I'm at work, the acne's come back again. Hopefully when I get her a friend it'll go away.
Also, be careful when you're scrubbing it off, it can bleed if you go at it too hard (duh).

inkl

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could it be a teenage thing?
I've just noticed my almost 2 years girl has some on her white chin.
No tag, white unmarked ceramic bowls and otherwise healthy.
Is it truely something to be comcerned about?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, that's interesting about the ceramic. That's what I use for Pushkin as I like to heat up his food. He's developed acne in the last week, so I looked it up here. Always a good source of info.

I'm going to get some little Pyrex saucers and replace the plastic mats with something else.
I've been rubbing the acne with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol, then rinsing it with water. Pushy's been surprisingly cooperative so far.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've always seen the stainless pet food bowls in pretty much every pet supply store I've visited. They should be relatively easy to find. The ones I have also have a rubber grip around the bottom edge to prevent slipping or moving while they are eating.
I have a couple of these too. I got them at Petsmart. I get the big ones because of my cats flat faces. They have to get their whole face in to get the food (no snout.)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Pushy's acne is still here. I'm going to try something else to get rid of it. It doesn't seem to be bothering him much though.