Black Feces

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They sell at PetSmart, Petco and any pet store, nail clippers for cats, for around $6.99. I started clipping Montgomery's nails when he was 6 weeks old. Well I didn't, the vet at the HUmane Society did. Then I started doing it at home with the clipper and he hated it. I tried with a small nail clipper for humans and he loves it now! Whenever I take out the nail clipper to use it myself, he comes running and shows me his front paws - cute!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see. So should I have the vet show me how to do it first or do you think it would be better If I did it myself?
Should I start preparing them everyday and taking their paws and extracting the nails out? I read if you put finger in mouth, check ears, extract nails, and pet stomach for a while they get used to it and its easier at the vet and stuff.

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely to all your questions! The vet will teach you how to do it. the best way to have the kitties comfortable with nail clipping is by manipulating their paws with soft circular movements.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorelei

Absolutely to all your questions! The vet will teach you how to do it. the best way to have the kitties comfortable with nail clipping is by manipulating their paws with soft circular movements.
I see. Thanks.

I made them a nice house out of a laundry basket.
Its big and nice, I put in a nice warm quilt.
Plus the laundry basket has holes in it and hey like to poke their paws through it.
Added a tennis ball and a random stringy thingy, and they've been in it almost the whole day!

I think I should buy another food tray for them as they keep fighting over it.

Isnt it cute?

|
|
|
|
\\/

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're doing so good! Now, be careful with stringy things. Kitties love to bite and swallow all those things. At PetSmart, they have little balls with bells inside and they love them, trust me! Also, Walmart has better prices on cat toys! You might want to check it out! Gotta go now - have to work tonite! But I will log in again tomorrow to see how things are with your kitties.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stringy thingy has balls on it (like a necklace used for people who have carpal tunnel syndrome or just nervousness, you move the beads up and down with your fingers - kinda like a rosary but bigger beads and no crucifix)
I hung it from a pencil

If you want to see more pics you can find them here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64384

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is a good idea for them to have each own food-dish.

When you are talking mom over to keep both of them, here some arguments:

They will held company to each other especielly as they are good friends. In this way it is usually EASIER to have two than one.
It is a myth cats are solitary. Nowadays it is known cats are social animals and usually prefer to have cat-company - if there is enought with food.
I think many people thinks an alone cat will bind to the owner, they afraid two will bind to each other - and not the owner. This is NOT true: They do bind to the owner och loves him/her - their PA or their MA, AND they have their cat friend. The difference is positive: they are not the same nuisance to play with them every moment, as now they can also play with their cat-pal. But still they know who is their Ma/Pa. And they are still friendly to the other humans in the family.
This of course if all humans in the house ARE friendly.
Dogs bind to their master, cats binds to their MA/Pa.

The food is usually NOT twice as costing, with two you can buy bigger bags=cheaper .

Last. Do not forget to neuter them in time. So both you and the cats avoids many nuisances and problems. When? In US they often neuter healthy pet cats when about 12weeks, in other countries they prefer them to be older, 6month is usual. Talk with the vet when you see him/her on wednesday.
If you are tight on money try to make up a payment-plan... Or discuss you move lawn for the veterinary as payment...

Good luck and much joy with your two small friends!

blueberrybeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ totally! Two is always better than one, because it makes more of a "family" environment for the cats and they can manage better together, not always depending on you for entertainment/support. And of course, humans don't groom with their tongues - my cats groom each other all the time, and everybody LOVES it (heck, my kitten grooms ME). You can always refer your mom to this site if she has questions - she can use your username as long as she tells us it's her, not you!

Also - dark poop may be a sign of dehydration - one of my babies had it when he was little, due to a fever/virus. He did get better and is no worse for the wear. But you can tell the vet about what you saw as well as bringing in a sample of current poop.

kareemsbuddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to through at thought out there......
I know if humans iron count is too high, they can have black stools...
Maybe a simple blood test would indicate what the problem may be. And if its a GI bleed, then a quick ultrasound should beable to indicate that as well. If it is old blood it will be black. Let us know how your precious kitty's doing.
Kareemsbuddy

lorelei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Zoggy - I'm back! I saw the pictures of the kitties. They look like my Matilde!!!! Matilde has some orange. I haven't post any photos, as my digital camera was stolen and I have some in a roll, but it's not finished yet. Anyway.... your kitties are adorable...

I agree with StefanZ about the two cats being friends and the bonding with the owner. One thing, you don't own the cats, they OWN you!!!! I never lost the bonding with Montgomery, to the contrary, we got closer as soon as Maximo came in. On the other hand, Maximo has never bonded with me. Two weeks ago, Maximo's real dad came to visit and Maximo went crazy meowing and rubbing against him. Even though Maximo has a lot of fun with Montgomery, he knows who his dad is and also knows I'm not his mommy. When Maximo came in, Montgomery started to behave better in terms on playing rough, which is great!

Later!