Black Eyed peas on New Years Day

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a tradition here in the south to cook these on New Year's Day. So mine are in a pot on the stove with a ham bone. They are for supper later with some fried cornbread. Does anyone else do this.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a tradition here in the south to cook these on New Year's Day. So mine are in a pot on the stove with a ham bone. They are for supper later with some fried cornbread. Does anyone else do this.
I don't like them, but I used to go to my sil's for dinner.  She always had a ham, too, so that kept me happy.  I would take a bite of the black eyed though, for luck. 

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cheated and added some to the chili I have cooking in the crock pot. Can't stand them any other way, they taste like dirt to me.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cool I grew up with the kielbasi saur kraut, hot wings, and ribs. But since I been living alone, well Binky and I, I put beef kielbasi on the rotisserie  and a turkey burger (ground up) and chicken cat food for Binky, Binky was really gassy alday though, lol

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We don't do black-eyed peas, but we do eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. We had it yesterday and will scarf down the leftovers tonight. For the pork I used the leftovers from the crown roast from Christmas....I got it out of the freezer to thaw on Monday.

If you get a calendar as a gift, do not hang the calendar or put it out until January 1st. If you hang your calendar early, it brings bad luck to your house. I don't know why. Something Grandma always told me.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I first heard about that tradition the other day - one of my friends was making black eyed peas and collards to represent coins and dollar bills for New Years. I don't like either one so I don't think I will be partaking :lol3:

I actually can't think of any New Years traditions we've ever done ... maybe we need to start one :)

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make pork and sauerkraut on New years day too. I threw in a few black eyed peas for good luck.

I have a good soup recipe if there are black eyed pea lovers out there.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some, but never got around to making them. I don't eat pork, so was going to make them with collards & have them over brown rice. I plan on making them this weekend.