Black Cats Only

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Well here's a pic I never thought I'd get. My two black cats peacefully next to each other. Maple (the big on one the right) absolutely hates Penelopy. Pea-Pea had taken over Maple's chair earlier and Maple decided to reclaim it apparently - with Penelopy still in it. And so there they were.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet photo. @Donutte ...Are you positively sure that 'Maple' hates 'Penelopy'..
..because judging by this photo...it seems like some sort of 'cat truce' was reached.

I suppose you will know later, if the terms of the truce hold, or only apply to specific times on the chair.  good luck.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet photo. @Donutte
...Are you positively sure that 'Maple' hates 'Penelopy'..:scratch: ..because judging by this photo...it seems like some sort of 'cat truce' was reached.
I suppose you will know later, if the terms of the truce hold, or only apply to specific times on the chair.  good luck.
The sounds that come out of her usually when Pea-Pea is within her field of vision sound rather ungodly. And she will paw at her if she gets within reach of her. But this time Pea-Pea must have been up there already and then Maple made the first move. That's the only way this could have happened.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

What a sweet photo. @Donutte
...Are you positively sure that 'Maple' hates 'Penelopy'..
..because judging by this photo...it seems like some sort of 'cat truce' was reached.
The sounds that come out of her usually when Pea-Pea is within her field of vision sound rather ungodly. And she will paw at her if she gets within reach of her. But this time Pea-Pea must have been up there already and then Maple made the first move. That's the only way this could have happened.
Maybe it's the beginning of a beautiful friendship.  

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Very colourful cardboard cat house, for Zoe.
  I noticed that Zoe also has some sort of hanging toy, in her house. (I think it's a pink mouse, and not a 'pink chandelier'.)

At first I thought Zoe looked like she was sent to the 'cat house'...much like dogs are sent to the 'dog house' ....but perhaps the term 'cardboard house' is much better to use. Less confusion, that way. 

And no way, would cats be sent anywhere...unless they wanted to go there, anyway. The orange colour of the house goes nicely with Zoe's black fur and awesome eyes.

Last edited:

dc1346

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have a black cat but he passed away some 8 years ago. His name was Charlie. He is pictured below.

He was a playful kitty. I remember when we were moving from Pennsylvania to Arizona. Unwilling to put the cats into carriers for the long, long trip - I put harnesses on all of the cats and traded my Buick for a Chevy Astro Van. Most of the van was given over to cat supplies and most of the cats chose to suffer through this trip hiding in a cat tower that I had lain on its side.

As it turned out, the kitty harnesses were a bad idea. My first stop was at a truck stop to refill the gas tank. The moment I opened the door, Charlie was gone. I chased after him but lost him in the woods. He had run down a gully which I couldn't descend because there were all of these bushes in the way. I called for him and there was no answer. I paced back and forth in agony knowing that I had to return to my vehicle and I would more than likely have to abandon Charlie ... and yet Charlie was my cat ... how could I leave him alone in the woods?

I felt a pat on my leg and looked down to see Charlie grinning up at me. With a loud cry of, "CHARLIE!" I scooped him up and hugged him - all sins forgotten. Charlie purred in response. After pulling in to a Motel 6 (most of which accept pets), I found a PetsMart and bought carriers and despite their whines and complaints and their spread out paws and occasional scratches, every one of my cats went into carriers for the rest of the trip. The drive took four long agonizing days during which the cats moaned and groaned and loudly complained with the feline equivalent of "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" to which I would reply, "No, no, and no ... and for pity's sake, stop complaining!"

josbd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What beautiful cats you guys have! 

Until last week, I had two brothers. When we picked them up 15 years ago, the entire (large) litter were ginger tabbies..... bar the largest and the smallest of them all. These were mine. Their names were Casper and Squizzy (don't ask!)

This pic was taken a week before we picked the chaps up. We got them into the basket, thence to the car.... and one of them did not stop wailing (in a Siamese type voice)!. We thought he was distressed, but we soon learned that Squizzy loved to talk, and still does! Casper was very tiny, his fur was harsh, and he was all skin and bone. When eventually he spoke, he sounded like Marge Simpson: rusty! Turned out his little chin was slightly malformed, and he had not been getting food for that reason as well as being absolutely tiny. I honestly think if we had not picked them up when we did, Casper may well have died. Squizzy is a dopy, soppy creature, Casper was "in charge", and when Toby and Bandit both arrived on our doorstep (separately, several years apart) he gave them very short shrift indeed. Sadly last week, Casper became ill, and was finding it so hard to breathe. The vet said he had fluid on the lungs, but did not have the strength to move it. She said she suspected he had tumours in his lungs. I made that terrible decision, and I held him throughout. I miss him terribly, cheeky little creature. Squizzy is clearly missing him and is being much spoiled by all of us.

Casper: tiny and fierce, and brave. Apologies for the standard of photo. Crap cameras on phones in those days!

Both of my tiny boys

Oops, I have rambled, and I do apologise for sending you all to sleep! Thanks for providing me with a place to talk about this. It has been cathartic.

Jo

josbd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh what a cutie!!

My mother used to say "a house is not a home without a black cat dozing by the fire" I think she was right

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

..@ARETHAS MOM...your cat Aretha may have just invented a 'new type of cat carrier'...but it's still a prototype...since it needs holes and sight lines, for breathing and vision..(not to mention an interior thermometer, to make sure of ideal temps. I fear all these extras may destroy the purpose of it being a 'cooler'. And the insulation would be too hot, or too cold.)  

Oh, well, still a very smart cat, for those hot days.  (throw in some cool drinks and we can all go out backyard, for a picnic.) 

I always thought that black cats were the smartest of the species. This looks like proof, to me.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
This pic was taken a week before we picked the chaps up. We got them into the basket, thence to the car.... and one of them did not stop wailing (in a Siamese type voice)!. We thought he was distressed, but we soon learned that Squizzy loved to talk, and still does! Casper was very tiny, his fur was harsh, and he was all skin and bone. When eventually he spoke, he sounded like Marge Simpson: rusty! Turned out his little chin was slightly malformed, and he had not been getting food for that reason as well as being absolutely tiny. I honestly think if we had not picked them up when we did, Casper may well have died. Squizzy is a dopy, soppy creature, Casper was "in charge", and when Toby and Bandit both arrived on our doorstep (separately, several years apart) he gave them very short shrift indeed. Sadly last week, Casper became ill, and was finding it so hard to breathe. The vet said he had fluid on the lungs, but did not have the strength to move it. She said she suspected he had tumours in his lungs. I made that terrible decision, and I held him throughout. I miss him terribly, cheeky little creature. Squizzy is clearly missing him and is being much spoiled by all of us.

Casper: tiny and fierce, and brave. Apologies for the standard of photo. Crap cameras on phones in those days!

Both of my tiny boys

Oops, I have rambled, and I do apologise for sending you all to sleep! Thanks for providing me with a place to talk about this. It has been cathartic.

Jo
Casper and Squizzy were too adorable for words.  I just love black kittens and you just posted pictures of two of them at once.  Believe me, that's not going to put anyone to sleep on this site!  I'm really sorry about Casper - he sounds like a very special little guy with his fierce courage.  If you're up for it, you might want to post a tribute to him on Crossing the Bridge:  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge   It might bring you some comfort.  

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Both of my tiny boys

Jo
Oh wow. They are just soooo adorable! Love fierce look on Casper's face, as if to say, "You were supposed to have my steak and lobster ready a half hour ago, you peasant!"
And no apology needed here! I for one am glad to hear anybody talk about their furry companions, and that includes you too! Please, more pics of your angels, if that's not asking to much? They are just so precious and cool

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a very nice cat bed though. Cool red and blue stripes and a silver lining!

How could any cat resist?
 Oh, such sweet little things! They were lucky to have such a long life with you.

Oh wow. They are just soooo adorable! Love fierce look on Casper's face, as if to say, "You were supposed to have my steak and lobster ready a half hour ago, you peasant!"
And no apology needed here! I for one am glad to hear anybody talk about their furry companions, and that includes you too! Please, more pics of your angels, if that's not asking to much? They are just so precious and cool
  You're right, that look says it all, doesn't it?