Black cats - always the last adopted & they know it

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's silly. 4 of our past kitties were b&w. How on EARTH does being a certain colour make them more or less adoptable than another?

Originally Posted by Kalikat

I prefer the darker colours, especially in Australia's harsh climate. The ones with pink noses & ears can get sun cancer. I'd take a black cat over white any day.
I agree on the one hand, but you know, if someone else had adopted Charlie they may not have given him the care he deserved, they may have been horrible, might have let him be an outdoor cat forever, not monitor spots and things, groom him, medicate him, trim his claws, give him all the love and care he needs. So he's white, but i'm very lucky to have him. Even if paler coloured cats are going to get sunburned and such, that isn't my first thought when i adopt a kitty, i look at their personality, their need etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Had no adoptions/no interest in these guys.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been told Coco and Oreo are ugly because they are black and white.
Sasha my Russian Blue Mix is ugly also because she is all blue.
They sure love Meeko though even though she is the one with the bad attitude.
This is my sisters cat Midnight.
I named him and gave him to my sister.
He is Cocos son.

jackbombay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Oooo! Is your kitty a Bombay??!! He (Jack?) is gorgeous!
We got Jack from "the humane society" here, back then it was just somebody who was fostering ~6 kitties, no cages, they just had a room set up with all sorts of logs/carpet/toys and all the kitties in there we went and hung out for a bit.

Jack was a nutbar for sure, super interested in us, loud purr, and quite the looker even at a young age. Later when my wife was looking through a cat book she found the description for "Bombay" and it fits him to a T so that became his last name. We're pretty sure he's mostly Bombay, but who really knows.

wjlipscomb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They all look as if they are in jail. Take them out of the cages and photograph them in better a setting. Lighter background colors would look better. With digital cameras and photoshop you can do wonders. Getting people to come and see them is haft the battle.

wjlipscomb

wjlipscomb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They all look as if they are in jail. Take them out of the cages and photograph them in better a setting. Lighter background colors would look better. With digital cameras and photoshop you can do wonders. Getting people to come and see them is haft the battle.

wjlipscomb

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 black cats that only have a tummy little patch of white on their tummies and then another black and white tuxedo. They're cute, not ugly at all!
I can understand how people go to the shelter and pick out the cutest one though.. it's just one factor in someone's decision on what cat they want to adopt.

lunasmom09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a black cat (my first black one in 40 years). When I first saw him, I passed over him, too, looking for someone "cuter." But he was such a sweetie and had the deepest purr for me. The first thing my husband said was "no, no black cats, they're evil." Well I (and Porter) showed him! It's a stigma - the whole halloween/witchcraft thing.

Did you know that more black cats are slaughtered and abused on Halloween than any other kind of cat on any other day of the year?

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom09

I just adopted a black cat (my first black one in 40 years). When I first saw him, I passed over him, too, looking for someone "cuter." But he was such a sweetie and had the deepest purr for me. The first thing my husband said was "no, no black cats, they're evil." Well I (and Porter) showed him! It's a stigma - the whole halloween/witchcraft thing.

Did you know that more black cats are slaughtered and abused on Halloween than any other kind of cat on any other day of the year?
This is not actually true. It's an urban myth. However, it is true that black cats are often overlooked.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got that whole "cuter" other cats thing when we found Trent. The pet shop (I know, I know...now) said that they start at $x and go up for the cuter ones. Of course Trent, being black, was at the lowest price. I couldn't believe it - I thought he was the cutest one there! Seemed like they had messed up the pricing to me.
I still gravitate toward the black cats. They are the most regal of all colors, IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyone who wants a black cat - I have one I'm fostering for adoption!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have four black cats right now at the shelter. Two are large cats that were abandoned in a hotel room. Another is a large black female that we currently have at our vet office. And the fourth is a little black female who was at the vet's office for two months with no takers, and who is now in heat and in need of spaying.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had the money and wasnt in PA Id be there in a heartbeat and tell BF "But I found them hunni I couldnt leave them outside the poor babies" Hes such a sucker for girl kitties because they love him! GiGi is his little girlfriend!!

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oh poor babies
I LOVE black cats, they're my favs right after cali's.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone is near the Outer Banks NC and is looking to adopt a black cat (super social, very, very affectionate, loves to be held, picked up and cuddled. He is great with other cats and he loves children. This guy hugs your neck and puts his face into your hair when your holding him
)

Here is Raksha, 6 months old utd on vaccines, neutered, de wormed, free of fleas and other parasites and fiv/felv negative.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might take a look at my post about little Emily at our shelter. She was a black cat that had not been adopted for quite a while. She was even neutered in the last few days, to improve her chances, but she was accidentally put to sleep this morning.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You might take a look at my post about little Emily at our shelter. She was a black cat that had not been adopted for quite a while. She was even neutered in the last few days, to improve her chances, but she was accidentally put to sleep this morning.
OMG! Poor baby that just breaks my heart. I hate that that happens to any cat.
I wish I had the money and the patience from BF because with us living on a farm I would build a giant enclosure for kitties and have an inside addition put on so they could go in and out and have their own special kitty room full of shelves toys cat trees etc. And Id rescue a ton of cats and give them all a place to live forever!! Those poor kitties!!!!