• Change food

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Angel22867

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 year old female all black cat and in the past month her fur going up her spine has turned a rusty pale color but it's also very dry similar to when a human dyes their hair wayyyy to many times and it becomes dry. I'm so confused because it has grown further up her spine a few cm in 3 weeks. She's on Purina One sensitive stomache because she would get sick from any other foods. Do you have any idea what's going on? And for about 2 years she would poop blood and the vet just said that it's probably a sensitive stomach but she stoped after I put her on her current food could this be from a deficiency issue? Please help!
20180225_185114.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here is a good article running down the possible causes: https://www.kittycatchronicles.com/home/why-is-my-black-cats-coat-turning-brown/

While diet is one of the common causes so is sun bleaching. I tend to advise toward ruling out the medical causes. Only because cats give us so signs of illness. It is better to fully check at the smallest sign then to wait for more severe issues to come up. I'd say a vet appointment with a focus on checking the thyroid, liver and kidney function. Assuming those are fine and she isn't sunning (which, given the location I find a smidgen unlikely but she may sun as a load) then I'd change the diet. You could also tackle both issues at once with a vet check and diet change.

I am ignoring age because she's a little young for that. I have a five year old solid black cat and he's still very very dark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angel22867

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a good article running down the possible causes: Why is My Black Cat's Coat Turning Brown? - Kitty Cat Chronicles

While diet is one of the common causes so is sun bleaching. I tend to advise toward ruling out the medical causes. Only because cats give us so signs of illness. It is better to fully check at the smallest sign then to wait for more severe issues to come up. I'd say a vet appointment with a focus on checking the thyroid, liver and kidney function. Assuming those are fine and she isn't sunning (which, given the location I find a smidgen unlikely but she may sun as a load) then I'd change the diet. You could also tackle both issues at once with a vet check and diet change.

I am ignoring age because she's a little young for that. I have a five year old solid black cat and he's still very very dark.
Yes no sun occasionally she bathes from what comes through the window but we have a special film applied to the window. I am gonna make an appointment with the vet. Personality wise she is still the same sassy kitty I just noticed this picking her up a few weeks ago and thought it would pass. Thank you

ShandaLear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this article and thought it might be useful. Posted a quote and the link below. ;-)

"...if a black cat is eating a diet low in animal sourced proteins (beef, lamb, pork, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy), that cat’s coat may turn reddish. The red color almost looks like the coat is bleached from the sun. However, healthy coats do not bleach from the sun.

To treat the red coat – increase meat in the cat’s diet. This can’t be as simple as switching from a grain-based food to a meat-based food. Even better would be to start your cat on a real meat diet – either raw or very lightly cooked."

truthaboutpetfood.com/why-has-my-black-cats-coat-has-turned-red/

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats will bleach a bit if they are outdoors a lot in warm sunny climates. They barely get a deep reddish (or possibly bluish) tint or hue all over their coat and it's only really noticeable in the sun. They still look black under indoor lighting.

A strip or stripe of lighter fur does indicate a nutritional deficiency. I agree with others about your kitty needing more quality meat protein and a vet check.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just that little strip kind of looks like dead fur. Give her a good combing and see if that helps. If the live fur left behind is still reddish, yeah, have that checked out. But that particular patch looks like dead fur to me, and dead fur always turns lighter.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just that little strip kind of looks like dead fur. Give her a good combing and see if that helps. If the live fur left behind is still reddish, yeah, have that checked out. But that particular patch looks like dead fur to me, and dead fur always turns lighter.
This time of year she could be starting to shed her winter coat.

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree to give her a good brush first. See if all of that is or isn't just dead hair.
We have an all black retriever and his fur does this when he sheds, we just brush it out.

vibbard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, i have a very similar looking black cat who also has a history of stomach issues, who has recently had almost an exact copy of this issue, just slightly longer and slightly thinner along the spine going an inch or so up the base of the tail. she has developed this in the last 2-3 month and has so far not gone away. i know this is a very old post but i have done a lot of looking and this is the sole case i can find that seems almost identical so i was wondering what resolution you had with your cat and if you learned anything about the issue. i would message directly but there does not seem to be an option on this site

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
hi, i have a very similar looking black cat who also has a history of stomach issues, who has recently had almost an exact copy of this issue, just slightly longer and slightly thinner along the spine going an inch or so up the base of the tail. she has developed this in the last 2-3 month and has so far not gone away. i know this is a very old post but i have done a lot of looking and this is the sole case i can find that seems almost identical so i was wondering what resolution you had with your cat and if you learned anything about the issue. i would message directly but there does not seem to be an option on this site
Hi V vibbard and welcome to TCS. :)
This member hasn't been back since posting and did not respond to future posts, so it's unlikely you will get a response.
You are unable to PM them right now as you're too new.