Bizzare Foods (The anti whats on the menu tonight thread) :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

Well that sounds interesting! Does it taste of blood? I wont try blood anything because I don't like that iron mineral taste.
I know... nope - no blood taste at all.... It completely takes the seasoning taste - it is truly delicious! But it needs to be well made, of course, so I do just eat it anywhere

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mismaris777

I'm watching Andrew Zimmern right now too

Sorry in advance, this is going to be long. I've eaten a LOT of different stuff!

Well, some people consider sushi "gross", however for me it's my favorite food. I've eaten a lot of different things, traveling all over the world helps with that
. My dad is from Germany, so I've pretty much eaten every German food out there. Blütwurst ist mein lieblings Deutsche Essen (think the grammar on that was right, I'm a lil' rusty)! Translated: Blood sausage is my favorite German food. There is also blood & tongue sausage, yum-o! There was this raw fish sandwich thing that I ate last summer when I was in Kiel & Düsseldorf over there that was awesome, but I can't quite remember the name. Starts with an N, that I know lol. When I was in France, I had my first taste of escargots (snails) and fell in love, along with frog legs. When I was in Australia I had my first taste of kangaroo, and that was freakin' awesome! If I could get easily here, I would in a heartbeat. It's a very good meat. I also had crocodile over there, and wasn't a fan. I'm originally from southern Florida, so my early years were filled with all sorts of sea-fair and such. I remember eating a lot of alligator. However, now I don't really care for it. I think I relate it to my crocodile experience, and get grossed out. There is an awesome polish restaurant in my area that serves a mean tripe soup and czernina (duck blood and plums/prunes or something, just tastes like prune juice). We own another house up north and my dad goes hunting up there, so I've had deer (venison), grouse (basically a mini-pheasant/chicken thing), bear, and porcupine. My mom has this Ojibwe cookbook that we got at the reservation up there, so she had my dad shoot one and we cooked it up. Now that was nasty, definitely not for me. There's probably a lot of other stuff dad's shot and I've eaten, just can't remember. Oh, last time I was up there I had a pickled egg... apparently they were a bad brand, and the bartender didn't tell us till afterwards. Normally anything pickled is awesome, but that egg was deadly
. I've also had ceviche- made with raw swordfish. Now that was some good stuff!!!

I am open to eating anything- bugs, eyeballs, brains, etc. To me it's a culture thing. Different cultures rely on different foods for nutrition, and I think that it's amazing to be able to experience them. Wonderful feeling to me. The one thing I don't care for is the iron, mineral taste of organs, like heart, liver, stuff like that. I'll try it, but I won't like it lol.

If ya ask me if I've eaten something, I probably have. (geez, I really need to stop typing so much!)

IMO, FYI: Eating with picky people drives me NUTS! I have been known to walk out on a meal because of severely picky eaters. Being picky doesn't bug me, it's eating with someone that's picky. People that eat everything may know what I'm talking about. I bet it's the same the other way around too with picky eaters. I hate when people tell me that what I'm eating is gross- thats's what gets to me. Or if they gag if I eat a piece of sushi or something, I feel like punching them. (I'm very protective of my weird eats! haha)
Awsome! Good for you for being open to trying so many "bizzare" foods!

Eyeballs though, sorry, but no. They may be the most wondereful tasting thing ever, but I will never find out. That just creeps me out, eating somethings eye. The gag factor would kick in even if I did get bold enough to try.
Picky eaters don't bother me so much, as long as they have actually tried something before saying they don't like it. OK, that goes against my personal revulsion to eating an eyeball, or brains, reproductive organs, blood, but I wouldn't call someone else gross for eating them. I hate people that say "Oh, I dont like that" to which I ask, "Have you tried it?" "No" Well then you don't know if you like it, you just don't want to eat it! (big difference!)
I remembered as typing this I have eaten Scrapple, it is pretty much every part of the pig that gets throw away ground up with I think cornmeal(?) and fried. Wasn't bad, a bit like gamey tasting pork sausage. It was at a butcher shop I worked at at the time, the butcher was making it for a friend. I tried it more to show I was indeed not afraid to try new food, though gotta say, it was a bit daunting to watch it being made!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I know... nope - no blood taste at all.... It completely takes the seasoning taste - it is truly delicious! But it needs to be well made, of course, so I do just eat it anywhere
I have had some sauage cooked with blood, and it did taste like blood, which I didn't like at all (couldn't tell you what kind, it was a long time ago)
I will have to try again!