Bizarre Behavior After Work Trip, Vet Is Stumped

Phantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I've lurked this forum for a long time but hadn't thought to make an account until now. I have a very strange and sad situation with one of my cats and I really need help.

So, I have two cats, Paulo and Yuki. They are 8 years old. They are littermates and have always been together. Paulo has always been a bit more sensitive of the two, and more clingy to me. A bit over a year ago, I lost my job and ended up being unemployed for nearly a year. The cats, of course, loved this. However I was able to finally get a new job and move on with my life in March. Now, the cats had always seemed to deal fine with me being gone during the day before this, but after I moved in March, Paulo started acting a bit off. He used to get along better with Yuki but they fought more now. He was just a little less active and friendly.

Then a couple months ago, Paulo started pooping outside of the litter box. Off to the vet we went. We changed his food and that seemed to be helping. I had to start separating the cats at meal time so Yuki the big pig wouldn't eat Paulo's special food. I started the Feliway multicat plugin around this time too.

Around a month ago, I had to take a short trip for work, Monday through Thursday. I had a friend come and watch the cats while I was gone. My friend told me that Paulo wasn't eating as well and wasn't very responsive. We gave Paulo his own room with 24/7 access to his food instead of specific meal times and that helped though. And he has always been a pouty baby with strangers.

I assumed that when I got home, everything would be back to normal. It seemed that way at first. When I came in from the trip and he saw me, he got right up and greeted me. Unfortunately, that didn't last. He hid all the time, and would sit in weird sulky positions and slink around the apartment very low to the ground. He'd yelp sometimes seemingly randomly, or when touched. It was hard to get him to eat. I of course took him to the vet immediately. They did all kinds of tests, but said they couldn't find anything wrong. We tried some pain pills but they didn't seem to do anything.

After maybe a week there was some improvement. He would actually come out of hiding, slowly, once it was meal time, and he'd eat generally well enough. Sometimes if I was quiet he'd come out of hiding to sit on my lap. But I have been back from this trip for nearly a month and he's still acting very unlike his old self. He still hides most of the time, slinks around like he is in danger, yelps when startled or picked up, and will barely look at me. The vet said that he is not physically sick, it is all mental, but then had no further help to give.

What do I do with this cat? Again, it has been almost a month of this bizarre anxious behavior. The Feliway didn't seem to do anything. Should I try another vet? Will he maybe get better with time, or is every day I make him wait around another day of him suffering?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are sensitive to change, so probably you being away for your trip stressed Paulo out a bit, since the vet didn't find anything medically wrong, that's what I would suspect. The fact that he seems to be calming down a bit is promising. Do you leave out toys for him while you're away? Multiple perches and food puzzles will also help keep him preoccupied during the day. You can always check in with another vet, and ask if they maybe recommend a prescription anti-anxiety medication.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response. He does not have any interest in toys anymore. He gets upset at them. He won't climb perches very often anymore either, he just wants to hide under things. Sometimes he enjoys petting and will purr but then he'll crawl away. It's like he doesn't enjoy anything but food anymore, and even then he only eats enough to get by. I don't know how to get through to him.

Phantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update...The vet called a few days ago and asked about him. I told them what was going on and they got very serious. Long story short, he ended up having a brain tumor and is now gone. There was nothing we could do, it was just his time. I miss him so much, he was an incredible guy. Thanks again for all the help.

ivyandnala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you caught it fairly quickly and he didn't have to suffer much. Rest in peace Paulo.

Phantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like you caught it fairly quickly and he didn't have to suffer much. Rest in peace Paulo.
Thank you.

It had actually probably started months previous. Like I was saying, after I moved in March, he never really "bounced back" like he used to after moves. Another symptom I forgot is that a few months later, he started throwing up more and struggling more with hairballs. Then after that, the pooping outside the box started. But changing his food seemed to "fix" both of those things. Then during that trip, he started fading a lot more. The symptoms only all come together in hindsight knowing the diagnosis though, no one could put them together before then. It was all very mysterious and without that CT scan, there was no way to know, but he was too weak and never woke up from those procedures and after several hours I told the doctors to let him go. Cats are just so good at hiding stuff and they can't tell us what's wrong. By the time we knew it HAD to be more than behavioral, he was just too weak, and there isn't much you can do for brain tumors anyway. Maybe best case we would have had time to try chemo or something but who knows how that would have even gone. I think everyone did all they could but it was all just out of our control. Which makes me feel a little better; had it been something treatable and we were just too late, I'm not sure I could ever forgive myself.

The surgeon said he probably was not in much pain, just foggy. Early on, we tried a painkiller, and it did nothing, so I don't think he was hurting. Just struggling to do the things he used to do.