Bittersweet...new kitten finally!

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, as some of you know, I had a 10 month old BSH named Simon who passed away six months ago from FIP. He's the kitty in my avatar. The breeder was incredibly kind, and offered me a 'replacement' (so said because, obviously, nothing can replace a lost kitty) despite the fact she wasn't in any way obligated to do so. We had a lot going on and I was torn up about losing my baby, so I decided to wait a while.

My wife and I finally decided the time was right to take her up on her offer. Just after we let her know, my wife's kitty Odin suddenly fell ill for the first time in his life with a urinary blockage. After the first blockage and during the day or two he seemed to be over it and improving, the breeder emailed me and let me know she had exactly what we had been looking for: a male BSH of a different color than Simon (he was lilac, and I didn't want to bring home a lookalike, as that would have been too hard). As a bonus, the new kitty was born on my mother's birthday, AND was a full brother to my Simon with the same mother and father. We coudn't turn him down in light of all that (nor did we want too, he's perfect!)

Then Odin crashed again. Long story short, after two weeks, repeated crashing and four urethra blockages the vets could find no adequate cause for, as well as developing heart and lung problems, yesterday we decided to let him go.

It's going to be at least another month before we can even think of bringing the new baby home, but both of us are feeling bittersweet at the moment. We're happy and excited about the new baby, and of course completely devastated at what happened with Odin.

Anyway, to share some of that joy, here are some pictures of the new little bub. He's been dubbed 'Bishop' already, as we already have a Ripley (points if you get the geek reference). I have pictures of Simon still from when he was that age, and other than color they look identical.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no :eek:hno: I'm SO sorry to hear about Odin :rbheart: - especially so after all you went through with Simon :rbheart:

Bishop looks absolutely beautiful, not to mention ultra cute :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: :love: :thud:

I bet you can't wait to get him home :hyper: So lovely that he's Simon's full brother too :9:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep saying the hardest thing I did was bring Little Mercy home 5 days after losing Kitten. The smartest thing I did was bring Little Mercy home 5 days after losing Kitten.

One love does not replace another. Aside from the first night when Mook was trying to chew a hole in the ceiling to get away from the thing in the crate I have never once for a second regretted it.

You are allowed to love and cherish and baby and spoil your new baby and it does not lessen the love for one that is gone.  I'm a geek. Bishop is a wonderful name for him. And unique.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It IS bittersweet to bring home a new addition to the house, but you have a big heart and I'm positive both Odin and Simon are pleased to see you pass on the legacy of love they entrusted to you. They are secure in knowing they are so greatly loved, held forever in your heart and bringing you comfort  with the memories you will forever hold. They want nothing more then your happiness and for you to have sunshine once again in your life, as you would want for them if  they were left behind. Never feel guilty or sad in giving your heart to another, it is big enough to hold many loves and will make room for many more. You never replace a love, you just add another, they are all different and unique as they should be. Share your joy with your two boys, let the happiness and sunshine fill your heart for that is where they dwell now and should not have a home filled with darkness and pain, they loved you too much for that. Congratulations on the new addition to your family, celebrate the new love, as you also celebrate the love you shared with those who have gone, although they have truly never left your heart and never will, the bond is so strong and will be yours forever. Keep us posted with those beautiful pictures, I wish you all a long and happy life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I appreciate your kindness.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your kindness.
I'm so sorry about the loss of Simon and Odin. That's heartbreaking. 

You're right, Bishop is not a "replacement" of anyone. He will find his own place in your hearts which will never take anything away from what you shared with Simon and Odin. The love and friendship you shared with them will last forever. 

Bishop is so incredibly cute. What a sweet, precious little baby. I hope that he has many happy, healthy years with you. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can definitely relate to what you are going through. We lost our 15 year old Tony on Jan. 18. He had been suffering with an auto-immune blood problem, but our wonderful vet kept him going for 10 mos. with antibiotics. But at the end his heart was very weak (it had been strong all along) and then we knew it was time. We've lost other loved cats over the years, but my Tony was our very very very special boy. But, to make a long story short, we found a Russian Blue who had been found with his brother in someone's back yard. We saw his picture on the computer and fell in love. Our Charlie has now been with us for 3 weeks and he is a bundle of energy. Forgot how crazy kittens can be. He has earned a special place in our hearts, although we'll never forget our beloved Tony. Charlie is now trying to bond with our 2 senior females, Angel and Tippy. Slow process, but Angel is making progress and gets along with Charlie; Tippy is being bit difficult. I'm attaching a picture or Charlie taken with my Tony's favorite toy.

Much happiness with your new baby -- he'll earn a special place in your hearts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, what a beautiful little boy!

Yeah, I'm fortunate in that Ripley is only just a year old and very much still a kitten. She loves everyone but really, REALLY wants to play with everyone- the 12 year old dog isn't interested, 15 year old Odin wasn't interested, and 16 year old Athena is FAR from interested. We originally adopted her as a playmate for Simon. We keep her entertained as much as we can with one on one time and toys, but now with the new little boy coming home she'll have someone to play with the way she needs. 

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 What an absolutely beautiful kitten, you will enjoy many wonderful years with him. Odin  and Simon will always hold special places in your heart, I hope you will find the joy you need with your new little treasure.