Bitter-tasting medicine

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten needs to have a pinch of Tylan Soluble Powder for diarrhea twice a day but it's very bitter tasting. She won't eat much if I put it in her favorite food. I tried mixing it in anchovy paste but she wouldn't touch it. Currently waiting for a callback from her doctor to see if I can put it in Nutrical.

Any suggestions? Pill pockets?

And also, how much exactly would "a pinch" be?

Thanks!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Best to get clarification from the vet on what is considered to be a 'pinch'. That said, there are very small measuring spoons and one of them is sometimes referred to as a 'pinch'. This is on example, but the labeling can vary from product to product from what I have seen. Amazon.com: Norpro Mini Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, Set of 5 (tad, dash, pinch, smidgen and drop): Measuring Cups: Home & Kitchen. I would still get the vet to tell you what they consider a pinch to be.

You might try canned tuna (or chicken) in water. Feeby gagged/frothed/foamed at the mouth with one med she had to take, and yet ate it just fine when mixed with some 'juice' from a can of tuna. I then gave her a bite of the tuna as a treat afterward. If not that you could try any number of the lickable treats that are on the market - or perhaps even some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very helpful! Maple and I thank you!