Bitten Twice by the Same Feral Cat

Cheesesteak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try to be brief. I feed 3-5 homeless cats in Philly where many roam freely. One bit me on the calf while I was prepping some food for the lot. The urgent care facility urged me to seek treatment for rabies. Did that in early April. (hospital charged nearly $26K!) The cat showed no signs of being rabid but that doesn't mean I wasn't as risk (they said). The cat continued to appear and get fed (looking healthy) but I rarely turned my back on him. Things were fine until 10 or so days ago when he bit me again! Nearly the same spot. This time I used some alcohol swabs immediately after, bot some large-size bandages and so forth. It was then on to the 'net to see whether the rabies treatment I rec'd was going to protect me as it had been about 4 months between bites. There was quite a bit of info there but not all of it was consistent. Some spoke of a 10-20 year safe period. Others were not so generous. Some sites said that, if the cat was actively rapid on April 1st, it would have probably died by now. And that rabies in cats is extremely rare. He looks healthy to me. No signs of infection for me either. Any thoughts. Or others unlucky enough to have this happen to them too?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been bitten by feral cats in the past and one of those times was within the last couple of years. Much of what is done is based upon where you live. In Los Angeles County there is no vector for rabies even with stray or feral cats. The first time I went to an actual hospital emergency room and the second time I went to an urgent care and in both cases they only prescribed antibiotics and in the first case updated my tetanus shot.
As I am understanding this, you actually received the rabies series in April when you received the first bite. I would contact the facility where you received treatment or your state health department and ask them if you are still within a protected timeframe. When I googled this, there seemed to be conflicting information even on responsible websites. The CDC was a little bit general, but seemed to recommend a booster vaccine, even if the first series had been taken. The part that seem to differ the most on all of these sites was the time frame, which is exactly what you have said you have found.
I know from a very close friend in Pennsylvania that your state has different rabies vectors from the state of California. This may vary from county to county and the fact that you are in Philadelphia might make a difference as I am assuming that these cats may not be encountering all kinds of wildlife like raccoons.
Thank you for helping to take care of these cats. I know that it is hot right now, but please wear some kind of long protective legwear when you are around them, and possibly consider protecting other parts of your body if that were to be a possibility for a bite. Even if rabies is not a danger, it is very common to get cellulitis from cat bites, and that could be a very serious infection. Been there done that.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C Cheesesteak Thank you for all you are doing to help the feral community. It really is an amazing thing you are doing. It makes a huge difference in their lives

I was feeding a feral cat colony and this one little girl bit me almost a year ago now I went to urgent care.

They had asked if I was UTD on my tetanus which I am and I received antibiotics
Seems to be the same as what fionasmom fionasmom experienced but I was already up to date on my tetanus so I didn't get that.

I would recommend keeping an eye on it if it has already been 10 days or so and just look for any signs of infection. I also agree to call where you received the treatment for rabies and ask them this way you can be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheesesteak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been bitten by feral cats in the past and one of those times was within the last couple of years. Much of what is done is based upon where you live. In Los Angeles County there is no vector for rabies even with stray or feral cats. The first time I went to an actual hospital emergency room and the second time I went to an urgent care and in both cases they only prescribed antibiotics and in the first case updated my tetanus shot.
As I am understanding this, you actually received the rabies series in April when you received the first bite. I would contact the facility where you received treatment or your state health department and ask them if you are still within a protected timeframe. When I googled this, there seemed to be conflicting information even on responsible websites. The CDC was a little bit general, but seemed to recommend a booster vaccine, even if the first series had been taken. The part that seem to differ the most on all of these sites was the time frame, which is exactly what you have said you have found.
I know from a very close friend in Pennsylvania that your state has different rabies vectors from the state of California. This may vary from county to county and the fact that you are in Philadelphia might make a difference as I am assuming that these cats may not be encountering all kinds of wildlife like raccoons.
Thank you for helping to take care of these cats. I know that it is hot right now, but please wear some kind of long protective legwear when you are around them, and possibly consider protecting other parts of your body if that were to be a possibility for a bite. Even if rabies is not a danger, it is very common to get cellulitis from cat bites, and that could be a very serious infection. Been there done that.
Thanks. I dread having to call the hospital as I expect hassles to abound. Then again, for $26,000 in charges, maybe they owe me. (Thanks Medicare!) I too went to Urgent Care first and got the tetanus and antibiotics. I had mistakenly thot that I was only scratched the first time but then the infection appeared. Thanks again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheesesteak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been bitten before but nothing happened.
My at-home, indoor cat has scratched me many times. Never bitten me. He has all his shots. Some homeless cats here have been TNR'd (Trapped Neutered and Released) + given vaccines. They snip off the point from their right ear so people will recognize them. It your bites have been from feral cats, and have broken the skin & bled, then the potential for rabies exists. I've come to realize that the probability is pretty low.