Bitten By A Stray Cat, Should I Worry About Rabies

Samar.farghali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dears,
Good day everyone, the other day a stray adorable kitten looks like two months old walked near my house and she had little hair in the neck looked really itchy and that seemed to bother her a lot , I called a vet and he told me that I have to wash her with a shampoo called “item” wearing gloves, I fed her and washed her but she really freaked with the water as usual with all cats, she got really hostile and bit me through the glove and it drew alittlr blood, her behavior is totally normal. And she is doing fine and in a better shape after the shower, first of all what can I do to help her with her condition, second of all, should I get the rabies vaccine, should I be worried abt that or anything else I this regard. The wound is fine and the amount of blood is negligible like a drop or two.
I called the ER and the doctor told me that I should get the shot either ways, should I?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! and a very warm welcome!
When you bathed the kitten did you see any bites or scratches? Rabies in animals is transmitted through the exchange of blood and saliva.
It can take from 1 to 3 days for these symptoms to appear
  • Pica
  • Fever
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis
  • Hydrophobia
  • Jaw is dropped
  • Inability to swallow
  • Muscular lack of coordination
  • Unusual shyness or aggression
  • Excessive excitability
  • Constant irritability/changes in attitude and behavior
  • Paralysis in the mandible and larynx
  • Excessive, dripping salivation (hypersalivation), or frothy saliva

Also, a concern is tetanus, or an infection. If your ER doctor is that adamant about it, you certainly want to consider the shot against rabies.

For the kitten, keep observing it, for its immediate health and wellbeing you've done what needed to be done, if you see any changes in behavior call your vet right away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samar.farghali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When you bathed the kitten did you see any bites or scratches? Rabies in animals is transmitted through the exchange of blood and saliva.
  • Pica
  • Fever
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis
  • Hydrophobia
  • Jaw is dropped
  • Inability to swallow
  • Excessive excitability
Also, a concern is tetanus, or an infection. If your ER doctor is that adamant about it, you certainly want to consider the shot against rabies.

For the kitten, keep observing it, for its immediate health and wellbeing you've done what needed to be done, if you see any changes in behavior call your vet right away.
And no she didn’t have any bites or scratches.
And for tetanus, if that’s a concern, what should I do?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years, you should be fine in that regard. If you haven't, getting a booster would be a good idea.

As for rabies, the standard protocol is to keep the kitten confined for 10 days. If she's still alive in 10 days, that means she doesn't have rabies. You must keep her confined so she can't run away and you can keep an eye on her health. If she dies in the next 10 days you would get the rabies vaccine immediately.

If the rabies shot is easy to get in your area, you could consider getting it. You'll be protected for at least 5 years so it might be worth it. In the US it's a whole big deal to get a rabies vaccine, but I understand in other countries it's more readily administered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samar.farghali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • Pica
  • Fever
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis
  • Hydrophobia
  • Jaw is dropped
  • Inability to swallow
  • Excessive excitability

Thank u so muc
If you've had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years, you should be fine in that regard. If you haven't, getting a booster would be a good idea.

As for rabies, the standard protocol is to keep the kitten confined for 10 days. If she's still alive in 10 days, that means she doesn't have rabies. You must keep her confined so she can't run away and you can keep an eye on her health. If she dies in the next 10 days you would get the rabies vaccine immediately.

If the rabies shot is easy to get in your area, you could consider getting it. You'll be protected for at least 5 years so it might be worth it. In the US it's a whole big deal to get a rabies vaccine, but I understand in other countries it's more readily administered.
Thank you so much, that was really helpful :))

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From everything that I've read and heard, It's very rare to get rabies from a cat bite. However, if the cat's tooth has broken the skin, it's a puncture wound. I've had three of these kinds of bites, and all three times the bite got infected. It is easily treated with a course of biotics prescribed by a doctor (Augmentin). Also, you do need a tetanus shot if you are not up to date. Usually if it's getting infected you'll see within 24 hours that it's getting red, swollen, and tender. When you get your cat spayed or neutered, she will receive her rabies shot so hopefully this won't be an issue for you and the future. It's great that you're giving this Kitty a home.