Biting

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl

I want to teach him to not to bite I just don't know how to. I'm trying your trick and it's not working very well.
Please be patient and keep working at it. Behavior modification doesn't work overnight. Changing an undesired behavior takes patient, consistent, and persistent effort. It could take months, but usually it works. A cat is a lifetime companion (life of the cat, anyway). A couple months in comparison to that is a very short time.

shrano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got a biter as well and don't know what to do...

We're dog people and picked up Burton off the street when he was just 4 or 5 weeks old. Nursed him back to health and decided to keep him - he and the pooch get along quite well. He's a real good bratty little brother.
He's about 8 months old and we had him neutered about a month ago.

Problem is, he bites. Me. A lot.
Started out mostly at night when he was really little - little bites on my face. I was told by all my cat friend experts "You're the mommy -he loves you, he will grow out of it." For the most part, he has, but if I feel him nuzzling my face in the middle of the night, if I don't cover my face with the sheet he'll chomp. Sometimes he chomps thru it - not literally causing holes, but just to get a bite on me.

The other problem is he bites just because. I get it when he has been petted for too long, but he will just bite for no reason at all (or so it seems). Like, you're just hanging out on the couch reading or watching TV and he comes over and sniffs about then decides he's going to bite your hand or foot. I should mention he does bite my husband too, but mostly me. Squirting him with a water bottle gets him away for the moment, but he comes back. I don't get it. He can be chomped down on my hand and I will relax and tell him no in a loud, stern voice but he doesn't give a toss. The only way to get him off is to squirt him.

I should mention that all this biting has not broken my skin - it hurts a lot for the moment, but he's not causing me to have cuts and scratches all over. is this his sick way of saying how much he loves me?
it's driving me nuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well so far in like a week he's only bit me twice. I've been using the technique of covering his mouth and saying "NO BITE" when he does bite. We did a little test with my grandpa. Joey was sitting ontop of the chair and I was stroking him and he was laying calmly. Then my grandpa came up and started petting him so I removed my hand. Joey looked up and meowed angrily at my grandpa. So I think it has something to do with men I'm not sure. When my grandpa left I went back to petting Joey and he was fine about it. I don't understand though he used to be just fine with my dad and now he goes after my dad. I'm really confused because my dad never really did hurt him..he only smacked Joey whenever he'd bite roughly because he thought that was the right way to train until I talked to him about it. I'm just really confused cuz even I have smacked Joey's rump before for being bad (Not hard though just a little discipline smack..y'know the kind you do when you're smacking a kids hand for trying to reach at something they're not supposed to) and even after I did that I would cuddle him and be like "I still love you just don't do that." and that's basically what my dad would do so why is he still okay with me but not okay with my dad anymore? Is there anything I can do to get Joey to be okay with my dad? My dad likes to play with him and pet him every once in awhile and I don't want Joey trying to bite him everytime he does..