Biting arms at night

nightwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all :wavey:

Long time lurker, first time poster. Also, first time cat mum (I have had dogs mostly!)

My little Willow is almost 6 months old, and we got her at 12 weeks. She is a Ragdoll, and has been spayed.

For the past few weeks, she has been nibbling/licking my hands and arms during the night. I did some searches on this site and followed suggestions (ignoring, placing her off the bed, the 'hunt-kill-eat-sleep' method, etc) but it seems to be escalating at the moment. The last couple of nights she has attempted to bite my face. So I obviously want to really nip this in the bud.

I know that she is teething - she has had some health issues when she was only a few weeks old, and it has effected her growth; she is a late bloomer when it comes to teeth.

But is there anything else that I can do? I leave my arms under the covers (lucky it's winter here in Australia at the moment!) but she has now taken to scratching the sheets and blankets in an attempt to get to my arms.

It ONLY happens at night. She very rarely bites other times.

I am her main target, she goes for my husband less often.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome and glad you finally joined TCS!! Such a common issue with our kittens and even adult cats. They just don't get that we need sleep! :lol: Try hissing/growling REALLY loudly at her immediately when she bites your arm/face, enough so that you startle her. That is what her mother would do to her and how mother would naturally teach a kitten something is a :nono:. The hiss you give has to be the exact second she bites you! There are air can pet correctors that make this noise but I would not recommend this at all, especially for a kitten. Those can be very, very loud and really, for cats, one only needs to depress it every so lightly and never pointing it at the cat. The air cans work great for dogs but can really frighten cats. You could really scare her with using one of those and I would only resort to that for something really serious in the behavior modification department! You never want the kitten/cat to relate you with an air blaster can or even a spray bottle because then they will just become afraid of you. So best to try to do what a mother cat would do to a kitten under these circumstances.

Other options to try first as well. PLAY hard with her just before bed. Interactive wand toys such as the Neko Flier. Get her tired! Then offer some canned food for her to eat. This is a natural instinct for all kittens to want to play, hunt their prey, and then eat. I always found with one of my five, that this worked well to keep him off me at night.

She is definitely teething too! They make kitten teething toys for biting and chewing too. Maybe place a couple of these on your night stand when she comes in to want to play bite, etc.

Also check out : http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-dos-and-donts-of-cat-behavior-modification

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-and-night-crazies

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightwriter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much - I have been playing with her at night and giving her a meal. It worked for a few days (bliss!!) but then she was back to her old tricks :(

I have searched for teething toys and while there are plenty for puppies there are none for kitties?! I will have to search again.

Thanks again, I will have a read of the links :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Link below to Amazon kitten teething toys. I have used practically all of the first ten listed. You could have a few on your nightstand and when Willow is about to get nippy. I had another thought too. IF your hubby is awake during the times when Willow is going to bite/nip your arm or face - might you both give a loud HISS. This will make her realize that her biting behavior is REALLY unacceptable by both of her "P's". ;) Anyway - here is the link to the toys on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=kitten+teething+toys&tag=&tag=thecatsite

Last edited:

dphoenix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the exact same problem with my 4 month old male kitten and so far I have not found a solution. Hoping more people chime in with suggestions because hissing, removing, ignoring or even biting back (yes I've tried) haven't been effective at all.