Biting and PICA

cruzing101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone, this is a thread about my 10 month old Savannah x Bengal moggie kitten (can I still call him that?) and his PICA and play biting issues.

I did not know about PICA until today and I have come to realize that my cat has this problem. He also really likes to pretend my hands are another cat buddy of his.

I kinda liked rough housing with Balthazar as he grows up, and feel like he prefers to play with me that way than with me through toys. Dont get me wrong he likes playing with toys but he is such a little brat and always need a new toy or he becomes tired of it very quickly. With exception to a pair of wool gloves which he always loves to play fetch with. (side note, he use to always bring me the gloves and wait patiently for me to throw them but more recently he has brought them to me, i throw, he comes back and keeps the gloves in his mouth and growls at me. His ears aren't pinned back so I think he's just playing but I don't like it! I want him to just be polite and patient with his fetch time)

Other toys like the laser pointer and various snake, wand, feather, and mice toys are all fun for a few days and then he's over them. I now know it's a bad habit to keep him play biting with my hand, he often likes to go for my wrists, especially since my GF really hates when he bites and gets scared although he never draws blood from the bites I can only assume they will get stronger and cause pain as he matures. 

I saw someone in a previous thread link to the amnesty wildlife sanctuary website for biting issues but the links are all down, can anyone please go into further details to stop his biting habits?

Also please let me know about the PICA problem, he is always biting plastic bags and I recently got some silk vines to put out on my balcony, they look really nice but he likes the leaves, doesn't care for the flowers though. He also has vomited a few times in the past few months, don't know if this is from him eating cockroaches or a change in his diet when I switched him from trader joes food to blue harvest's wildcat food with no carbs (although it is dry). I also feed him the frozen raw pellets from PetSmart with the dry food. 

Sorry for the bombardment of info and questions, just kinda scattered thoughts at this point as I worry about him having problems down the line. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions or add pictures of him if you want...

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi There!  I had a lovely long haired cat that passed at 14.5 and had PICA her whole life and I am convinced it may have contributed to her illness- IBD- and eventually Lymphoma. She also shared other similar traits with your cat. Sly-my cat would play rough as a kitten and loved to bite hands. She bit hands so much so I bought gardening gloves to play with her. And just like your kitty those gloves became her favorite toy.

Along with hand biting which I know was all play as she was never angry-at least with me-she chewed on things around the house she shouldn't. Her favorite items where plastic bags from the grocery, photographs, and just about any other type of plastic. I am not sure what caused this behavior as she had a stress free life but it could be because I took her from her mom at 6 weeks. But then again it coulda just been her.

The most important thing to do for a cat with PICA is create an environment where the items they gnaw on are not there. I had to put all plastic up. U could try various citrus cat repellents from the pet store on your vines on your balcony. PICA is a psychological disease I don't see you being able to get rid of it in a cat and you can't be there 24/7 to watch. When my cat was hungry her PICA seemed worse.

I would not accept the rough hand biting though. Give a loud NO and immediately STOP playing with your kitty when they bite you hard. Do not reward biting behavior with more play. Also make sure you watch to ensue kitty is eating and pooping regularly as with my Pica cat had  a blockage once due to a fake plant she ate.

Good luck and work with your sweet kitten!