birth in process need help

darlene faverty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she had her first baby at 8 am but the placenta is still inside she seems to be having trouble getting it out and im afraid to pull as I may hurt either or both of them

the cat is small and has 3 large kittens still inside her

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The placenta should come out with the next kitten that is born.  If it is partway out now, you can pull it with a dry washcloth, but it isn't hurting anything by staying inside.  A washcloth is also useful if a kitten gets stuck in breech position for very long - it rarely happens.  If stuck in head out position, mother will usually lick its face so it can breathe.  Just keep counting and make sure that you have seen as many placentas as kittens when all is done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darlene faverty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well we finally got her to pass the sack lost 1 kitten when she didnt pass the head (strangled it. Mother and 3 are now resting easy whewwww to think this all started at 2 pm sunday  I am bushed

darlene faverty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for all the help yall huge hugs  im gonna let em all rest for awhile and get myself some sleep but will try to get some pics posted this evening

my sis has already laid claim to the black one :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congratulations!

Sorry to hear that one did not make it due to complications. It can sometimes be stressful when it takes this long. Glad that mama and the other three are doing well now. I'm sure mama kitty is exhausted as well. Hope you all get rested up. We'll look forward to pictures!

darlene faverty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry for posting this late I guess I'm a lil depressed as well.  We lost the last 3 kittens just a couple hours after last one was born. Mother is still very weak but finally got her to take a lil food.; Just letting her lay around and rest. Thank you all for the help. OH passing this along. Vaseline was very handy LOL  it helped her to finally get them out poor baby

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

sorry for posting this late I guess I'm a lil depressed as well.  We lost the last 3 kittens just a couple hours after last one was born. Mother is still very weak but finally got her to take a lil food.; Just letting her lay around and rest. Thank you all for the help. OH passing this along. Vaseline was very handy LOL  it helped her to finally get them out poor baby
I'm so sorry to hear that. 
 It's so sad when they don't make it. How's momma cat doing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
darlene faverty darlene faverty

What happened to the other three? Have you any clue? Was each one a difficult birth? Did they ever latch and nurse at all?

It's no wonder you are depressed feeling! I am terribly sorry to hear this.

Do you think that mama kitty might need to see the vet? She will be depressed too over the loss. As long as she is physically well, you may want to check with a local shelter and offer to foster some orphan kittens with your cat. If you're up for it. She will have plenty of milk! The shelter pays all expenses and bears the responsibility for finding homes. Might perk up your kitty and your sister might fall in love with one too!

There is a great need out there! It's kitten season and they are getting turned in by the dozens right now! After which they would probably spay your kitty for free!

Last edited: