birth control- VENT

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I thought you can only have a IUD if you've had a child already.
they wanted to give one to my 18 year old.I refused to allow them to do it.And Daughter goes by what I say.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

When I was asking around on other places about options, one person did actually tell me to use abstinence!
i'm surprised - i consider abstinence to be a choice only for those either a) not in a sexual relationship, or b) people like me, who consider sex outside of a marriage to be sinful. either way, i would consider it to be a CHOICE, not a recommendation for people who are living together.

the problems w/a hysterectomy simply for birth control is the health issues caused by menopause, either induced [by hysterectomy] or natural... osteoporosis, hot flashes [these are NOT fun!], etc. were i still of childbearing age, i'd choose something other than a hysterectomy for permanent birth control.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think whether insurance covers something depends on why the doctor writes it and how he reports that to the insurance company.

I've been on Nuvaring for 2 years now and I love it. My insurance covers it and I pay a $35 copay. My doctor codes it as ‘hormone therapyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] for an ovarian condition I have, it helps to cause cycles that my body wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have on its own.

Another woman at my office with the same insurance heard that my Nuvaring was covered and tried to get it herself just as a contraceptive and they would not cover it. She went back six months later and told the doctor she was having irregular periods and wanted to try it to regulate them and she was approved.

Good luck with getting yours straightened out!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, that does sound strange.

Unfortunately if you are at the mercy of an insurance company, your options are in fact limited to what they will cover, unless you want to foot the bill yourself. $60.00 per month for birth control sounds excessive!!

You may consider looking into a diaphragm and/or condoms as alternate methods to a hormone. Condoms when used in conjunction with a spermacide foam is just as effective as birth control pills (when taken properly), and the best part is that it also protects from disease, unlike the pill.

Personally I think birth control should be FREE for all women! Many women who end up having kids through "accidental pregnancies" do so because they don't have access to effective birth control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we are using condoms at the moment.. but I much prefer without.. no risk of STDs here anyways since we are in a stable, commited relationship.

Condoms dont always allow for you to be spontanious... which is almost a requirement when you are trying to do things when you think the baby will nap long enough!

Might see if the Dr can give a different reason for needing the patch.. I have had issues with severe menstrual cramping, hormonal birth control helps.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

the problems w/a hysterectomy simply for birth control is the health issues caused by menopause, either induced [by hysterectomy] or natural... osteoporosis, hot flashes [these are NOT fun!], etc. were i still of childbearing age, i'd choose something other than a hysterectomy for permanent birth control.
I've gotton hot flashes when on the pill!

Im not concerned about osteoporosis.. I eat at least 3 times the daily reccommended amount of dairy a day.. I get plenty of calcium!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Might see if the Dr can give a different reason for needing the patch.. I have had issues with severe menstrual cramping, hormonal birth control helps.
You can talk to the doctor. At least with my insurance we only had to get pre-approval for the birth control one time, and I have been able to switch to whatever type (pill, patch, ring, etc.) I wanted after that since it had been deemed "medically necessary".

Perhaps the doctor can list it as treatment for severe cramping and get pre-approval for that and you can go with the patch and get it covered by insurance.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he's suppossed to be back in the office tomm... kinda interested to see what method he chooses for me first.

One GYN I had gave me free samples of Seasonale every 3 months.. when I first started on it, the insurance we had covered it, but the company my ex worked for had switched insurance companies, and the drug was no longer covered.. so I got free samples!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Im not concerned about osteoporosis.. I eat at least 3 times the daily reccommended amount of dairy a day.. I get plenty of calcium!
My old university was doing a study on weight training and bone mass, and supposedly weight training helps too!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, you have to PAY for birth control? Blinking heck! Sorry, I am so used to picking up mine for free, being an older woman I take micronor as it is better for someone like me at the "grand old age" of late 30s
than an oestrogen based pill - but all our contraception here is free, be it condoms, diaphragm, IUD, pill, patches, implants, depo shots - yes we all have free birth control - very liberal you might think, but it works out better for both the individual and the taxpayer in the long term, a win-win situation.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

OMG, you have to PAY for birth control? Blinking heck! Sorry, I am so used to picking up mine for free, being an older woman I take micronor as it is better for someone like me at the "grand old age" of late 30s
than an oestrogen based pill - but all our contraception here is free, be it condoms, diaphragm, IUD, pill, patches, implants, depo shots - yes we all have free birth control - very liberal you might think, but it works out better for both the individual and the taxpayer in the long term, a win-win situation.
I believe it should be free here too. There'd be so many less accidental pregnancies, unwanted babies, etc. Definitely a win-win situation for everyone where you are!

And it would save me $53/month

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

*Sigh*.. that's it.. IM MOVING TO LONDON!!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious now, and sorry to hijack the thread, but its already been brought up anyways.

What are the costs involved with BC where you are?

I'm not on it, but when I was....

Prior to getting health benefits, I would get my pills from the Health Clinic which would sell them for $5 a pkg. (Drugstore price was around $20/pkg) They are now $7/pkg. Other BC products are available but I do not know the cost.

Many years ago I used a diaphragm... I think it cost me 40-50.

How much does it cost to have a tubal ligation? I'm in Canadian, so my public health insurance covered it.

Other topic: Hysterectomies

I completely understand about the health side effects. Dr's here will not do them unless you have a medical need for it. Honestly as much as I'd love to be rid of the monthly visitor, I'm moody to begin with, let alone the hormonal change of menopause type effect. I think alot of us just say we'd rather the hysterectomy if we're done having kids, just for the thought of no monthly's/no cramping/etc. but when one actually things about it, I doubt alot of people that say they want it, would actually go through with it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the OP: Do let us know how it all works out.... I'm reeling at the thought of your dr saying we'll call you and let you know what we decide you can have.... like
?????

I hope you do have a choice in the matter..... there's so many different, fairly reliable methods out there...you may have to experiment to find what works for you.

Good luck.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
birth control here.. you can go to clinics like planned parenthood.. price depends on your income.. I remember getting orth-cyclen for less than $7 a pack when I was 19. The clinic has different things available.

Some insurances cover different things, some cover nothing, some have co-pays.. just depends on your insurance. Medical card covers select things.

They only do hysterectomies here if medically necissary... I think it should be an elective tho for someone who is past a certain age. I'd rather have it done when Im younger, than go thru the risks of surgury and healing when Im in my 50-60+'s.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They never did call me.. the Dr may have been busy today with deliveries tho.

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am childfree, and yes, I hate the
people who tell me I will change my mind. I think 34 is old enough to know my own mind. I would love to get a tubal. However, as I am not in a relationship now, it seems kinda pointless. Should the situation change, I would get essure. http://www.essure.com Bascially, the DR goes in through the cervix and inserts two implants into the falopian tubes to promote scarring and block the tubes in about 3 months. It is far less invasive than a traditional tubal and just as effective.

Angie

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go through Planned Parenthood, and I am 25 (almost 26). I haven't had insurance since I graduated high school and have never been in a financial position to afford it (and was never offered it at a job for a worthwhile price). I pay $21 a month for Trivora, or $57 for a 3 month supply. It is a few dollars more for Ortho. Trivora is a low hormone pill. It has caused me to gain some extra weight but other than that it has been great. I don't forget to take it and I have VERY light periods. The worst symptom is mood swings. I am rarely in any pain. I do get tired, though. The bleeding is very light.

I am happy with where I am. I don't know if we will have children. We really can't decide. Now would be a horrible time. It doesn't matter if the federal programs (like welfare, medicaid, WIC, etc) would cover everything. We know they would. But we also have affordable birth control and both of us are in college full time. Knowing that, why would we want to voluntarily bring a child into a situation where we can barely afford ourselves just so we could get all the "help" and a higher tax return check?

We just aren't like that. If we do have kids, it will be after we are done with school. We may not ever have them. Or maybe we will adopt when we are older. We are okay with that.
But I do like Trivora. I like the idea of an implant, but it is scary too! The pill is working okay for now.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by musicalbookworm

I am childfree, and yes, I hate the
people who tell me I will change my mind. I think 34 is old enough to know my own mind. I would love to get a tubal. However, as I am not in a relationship now, it seems kinda pointless. Should the situation change, I would get essure. http://www.essure.com Bascially, the DR goes in through the cervix and inserts two implants into the falopian tubes to promote scarring and block the tubes in about 3 months. It is far less invasive than a traditional tubal and just as effective.

Angie
I thought about that.. but I read there was some risk of perforation with that method as well.

Also, with my luck, the scar tissue would probably end up being endomtrium scarring, which would cause more cramping each month.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I talked to the Dr today.. he ended up prescribing me a pill.. since my insurance doesnt cover the ones like seasonale, he wrote on the prescription that Im to discard the "reminder" pills and continue with the next pack.

"Pre-authorization" is a pain in the butt.. you pretty much have to try every other option that the insurance WILL cover, and have a reason why it doesnt work.. there's about 6 or 7 pills that they cover, so he said after 2 or 3 months on each pill, it would take 1-2 years to get the ring or patch authorized.

I asked about a hysterectomy.. he wasnt opposed to it, but said it would be pretty much impossible to get the insurance company to pay for it.. I suggested doing it as a cure for endo.. you have to go thru a bunch of other treatments for problems before they'd consider it a "necessity".. really a waste of time and money, as you'd have to go thru other surguries and radical treatments first. What a waste.. I'd probably eventually need it removed when Im middle aged anyways.. it would just make more sence to take it out when Im young and able to heal more easily.

He mentioned something too about tieing my tubes and a treatment that could be done to the uterine lining.. I didnt quite catch the term for it, but he said it would stop periods.. I think it was Uterine Ablation. I may ask him about that if the pills dont work out.