Birman queen kittened 6 days ago......

lucy cottle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, im hoping someone can offer some advice.

My birman queen had kittens 6 days ago. She is doing well, drinking, eating, coming out for a fuss etc.

She is urinating regularly, but still hasn't had a poo yet. I'm concerned as its been quite a long time now.

She is eating, but is a little picky and has had a handful of Royal canin baby cat biccys and only wants fish, could this be the reason?

Today I have given her some tinned fish in oil as I thought this might get things moving a little, but then I read somewhere that mother cats will eat their own faeces, is this something you've come across?

Thanks, L x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hello everyone, im hoping someone can offer some advice.

My birman queen had kittens 6 days ago. She is doing well, drinking, eating, coming out for a fuss etc.

She is urinating regularly, but still hasn't had a poo yet. I'm concerned as its been quite a long time now.

She is eating, but is a little picky and has had a handful of Royal canin baby cat biccys and only wants fish, could this be the reason?

Today I have given her some tinned fish in oil as I thought this might get things moving a little, but then I read somewhere that mother cats will eat their own faeces, is this something you've come across?

Thanks, L x
This with own faeces I havent heard.  Rabbits do it though.

You mean, she perhaps did her poo, but did ate it up?    Nay, normally cats wont do it, unless perhaps if they lack some especial nutrition.

Fish in oil is a good idea, as some oil IS one of the standard home remedies.  We usually recommend coldpressed olive oil, or coldpressed canold oil. But others oils should work too.  Be sure she has enough with drinking...

If you can get crushed pumpkin, the flavorless plain sort, it helps too regulate bowels...

Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat a lot of fish and have never done that, give her right now what she wants. I would recommend a diet of kitten food, she needs the extra nutrition right now. Push water hard, she needs it. Offer her running water at the sink or bowls set around to encourage her. I would definitely call your vet and see what they suggest, I know it's not uncommon for a queen to not go after birth, but that is getting to be a long time, they may have to give her an enema. StefanZ is right about the pumpkin, mix it in her fish so she'll eat it. Offer some plain yougart too, it may help her digestion. But first consult your vet. Good luck, and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucy cottle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice.

I gave her some food with gravy, I thought id give her a little longer, as she seemed fine in herself. I watched her closely and she wasn't going to her tray, straining or anything like that and hooray, finally yesterday we had movement :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thanks for your advice.

I gave her some food with gravy, I thought id give her a little longer, as she seemed fine in herself. I watched her closely and she wasn't going to her tray, straining or anything like that and hooray, finally yesterday we had movement :)
Tx for the report.  Still, it hints she has some difficulties... So please reread our advices and use them vigorously.   some nice probiotic may alos help to regulating her system.

And as said, plenty of fluids, water foremost.