Bird Killer

miri4191

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pepper, who is my mother's cat, spends most of his days outdoors. She started letting him out and now he won't stay in during the day...generally this isn't a problem. He stays on our block and generally sun himself on the patio. Now that certain neighbors have left no one minds him lazing around outside.

But he's killing birds like crazy!  On average one a day. My mother loves birds, she's got bird feeders and bird baths and bird books and the whole setup, but she says she feels guilty feeding them because she feels like she's setting up a smorgasbord for Pepper to catch them. So she's really mad a Pepper, despite my trying to remind her that he's a cat, it's instinct and if she lets him outside he's going to catch birds. Although honestly I don't know how he manages it, he's got an old broken shoulder injury and can't jump or pounce very well.

But I said I'd ask and see if anyone knew of any safe and effective methods to deter our little bird killer from being such an effective menace to the feathered community around here. Obviously nothing that will harm him at all. We've got two trees and a line of bushes that the birds flock around the most, if there was a way to keep him from sneaking around over there and laying in wait for them that would be great.

What about a belled collar? Or something loud to scare him if he gets near the trees. Let me know if you've got any ideas.

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about this subject, but I have heard that belle collars can give prey fair warning to get away. Many cats, ninjas as they are, can still move silently often, but it will likely reduce his killing somewhat.

On a side note, cats actually take a huge toll on the birds and other natural prey wildlife. It actually does environment/ecosystem damage. They are such magnificently effective creatures!